I used to throw some veggies and meat in my slow cooker, turn it on for about 8 hours, and return to find some over cooked veggies and somewhat bland meat. I was inspired to make a rub after reading through America’s Test Kitchen’s Best-Ever Recipes and saw a recipe for Chuck Roast in Foil (page 6 in case you want to check it out).
The original recipe has celery seed, dried thyme, and cornstarch plus the above ingredients. (The quantities in my recipe differ from America’s Test Kitchen.)
I dipped my finger in this mixture to taste it and was very pleased with the way it tasted.
I only had half a bag of carrots in my refrigerator. They were starting to get old, but they were still good to eat.
This is a good way to use up some of your supply of russet potatoes.
Cutting it into large chunks makes it easy for picky eaters to pick it out. (Though when it cooked and became golden – my son thought it was a tasty potato!)
Notice the two bay leaves on top. You want to be sure to remove them after cooking. Why? Because, according to eHow, “because the bay leaf has a bitter flavor when eaten and is difficult to chew.”
Grass-fed beef is the best. Want to know more about grass-fed meat? Click here.
My roast cooked perfectly in 6.5 hours.
Slow Cooker Seasoned Roast Recipe
Slow Cooker Seasoned Roast
The seasonings on this roast knock it out of the ballpark!
- 1½ tsp pepper
- 1½ tsp onion powder
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp parsley flakes
- ½ tsp espresso powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-3 large baking potatoes
- 1 package baby carrots
- 1 large onion
- 1½ - 2 pound chuck roast
- Mix spices together (excluding bay leaf) and set aside.
- Place carrots in the bottom of a slow cooker that has been sprayed with non-stick spray (or use a disposable slow cooker liner). Cut potatoes into 1 inch cubes and place on top of carrots. Cut onion into large chunks and add to the slow cooker. Top with bay leaves.
- Generously rub roast with spice mixture on both sides. Place on top of vegetables and cook for 6-8 hours on low.
- Remove from slow cooker and discard bay leaves.
If you like this delicious Slow Cooker Seasoned Roast recipe, then you should check out these delicious recipes, too:
- Brownie Sheet Cake
- Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
- Quick and Easy Chicken and Dumplings
- Easy Peanut Butter Pie
If you enjoyed this post, please share the link with your friends. Thank you!