This recipe for Slow Cooker Seasoned Roast is made with a homemade spice blend with a secret ingredient.
I used to throw some veggies and meat in my slow cooker, turn it on for about 8 hours, and return to find some veggies and somewhat bland meat. I was inspired to make a rub after reading through America’s Test Kitchen’s Best-Ever Recipes and saw a recipe for Chuck Roast in Foil (page 6 in case you want to check it out).
The original recipe has celery seed, dried thyme, and cornstarch plus the ingredients I have listed, though the quantities in my recipe differ from America’s Test Kitchen. After I mixed it all of my ingredients together, I sampled a small amount on the tip of my finger and knew that this was a winning recipe.
Slow Cooker Seasoned Roast Recipe
- 1½ tsp pepper
- 1½ tsp onion powder
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp parsley flakes
- ½ tsp espresso powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-3 large baking potatoes
- 1 package baby carrots
- 1 large onion
- 1½ - 2 pound chuck roast
- 1 1/2 cups water or beef broth
- Mix spices together (excluding bay leaf) and set aside.
- Place carrots in the bottom of a slow cooker that has been sprayed with non-stick spray (or use a disposable slow cooker liner). Cut potatoes into 1 inch cubes and place on top of carrots. Cut onion into large chunks and add to the slow cooker. Top with bay leaves.
- Generously rub roast with the spice mixture on both sides. Place on top of vegetables, pour water or broth over the meat, and cook for 6-8 hours on low.
- Remove from slow cooker and discard bay leaves.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 517Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 908mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 42g
Nutrition information is an approximation.
How To Cook Roast, Potatoes, and Carrots
This is how I cook the best roast dinner. I take a bag of carrots and layer them in the bottom of my slow cooker (aka Crock Pot).
Then I add a layer of potatoes that have been cut into cubes. This is a good way to use up some of your supply of russet potatoes.
Adding onion is a good way to add flavor. Cutting it into large chunks makes it easy for picky eaters to pick it out. (Though when it becomes cooked and golden – it’s quite delicious on its own!)
Notice the two bay leaves on top. You want to be sure to remove them after cooking. Why? Because, according to eHow, “because the bay leaf has a bitter flavor when eaten and is difficult to chew.”
Grass-fed beef is the best. Want to know more about grass-fed meat? Click here.
Depending on the size of your roast, it usually takes 8 – 10 hours for it to cook. The roast pictured was relatively small and cooked perfectly in 6.5 hours.
Don’t have 8 – 10 hours? You can cook a roast on HIGH in your slow cooker in 4 – 5 hours.
If you like this delicious Slow Cooker Seasoned Roast recipe, then you should check out these delicious recipes, too:
- Brownie Sheet Cake
- Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
- Quick and Easy Chicken and Dumplings
- Easy Peanut Butter Pie
If you enjoyed this post, please share the link with your friends. Thank you!