Brown Sugar Glazed Meatloaf – this recipe will soon become your family’s favorite recipe for meatloaf. It’s delicious!
If you grew up in the United States, chances are great that you have had meatloaf. At least once. For many of us, it is a quintessential comfort food, ranking high up there along with Buttermilk Biscuits and Pecan Pie. You know what’s better than meatloaf? Brown Sugar Glazed Meatloaf! Making it is not difficult, and many of the ingredients are kitchen staples that we tend to keep in our pantry and refrigerator.
The Brown Sugar Glazed Meatloaf
This meatloaf has a sweet, brown sugar glaze on top and a little bit on the bottom. Before making the loaf itself, make the glaze by combining ketchup, brown sugar, and little salt. Let it sit for a moment so that the sugar can dissolve a bit in the ketchup. Then spoon about 1/3 cup on the bottom of your loaf pan. Set the rest aside and get started on making the loaf.
Chop the onion into chunks and prepare the bell pepper by removing the top, bottom, and insides. Place them in your food processor and pulsate until they are diced. Then add the meat, bread crumbs, egg, milk, and 1/3 cup of the glaze. Process it all in your food processor until the mixture is thoroughly blended.
Next, place the meat mixture into my loaf pan and pat the top smooth. Spoon the remaining brown sugar glaze on top and bake it for an hour at 350 degrees.
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 pounds grass-fed ground beef
- 1 1/3 cups bread crumbs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine ketchup, brown sugar, and salt in a small mixing bowl and allow to sit for a couple of minutes to allow sugar to dissolve.
- Spoon one-third cup of sauce into bottom of a loaf pan. Set aside.
- Place ground beef, bread crumbs, onion, bell pepper, eggs, milk, and one-third cup of glaze into food processor and process until mixture is thoroughly blended.
- Place meat mixture into loaf pan and smooth down the top.
- Spread remaining glaze on top of loaf and bake for 1 hour or until internal temperature is 155 to 160 degrees.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 389Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 899mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 2gSugar: 31gProtein: 27g
Nutrition information is an approximation.
Meatloaf Facts & Trivia
- Meatloaf has European origins. It was mentioned in the Roman cookery collection Apicus as early as the 5th century.
- Europeans and Americans are not the only ones who enjoy meatloaf. Other countries ranging from Chile to Vietnam have their own versions of the meaty dish.
- America’s version of meatloaf takes its origin from scrapple, a Pennsylvania Dutch dish made from pork parts.
- Meatloaf gained much appreciation during the Great Depression, thanks to its adaptability. People were able to make use of less expensive fillers to stretch ground beef and create a satisfying dish.