The easiest and fastest way to make chicken and dumplings is to use a can of biscuits. It’s true. Canned biscuits make excellent dumplings!
What are Chicken and Dumplings?
Chicken and Dumplings are a staple in the deep South. Basically, it’s like a thick, creamy chicken stew with pillowy dumplings. The dumplings are cooked in the broth and seasoned, usually with a lot of pepper.
The first time I ever had any was on a trip to visit my husband’s parents (when we were dating). Being originally from the North, it was not something that we ate at home. Little did I know what treat was in store for me. Since my husband seemed to enjoy them, I know they had to be good. After trying them, I could see why.
What you need to make Chicken and Dumplings
There are only a few items that you need to make this super delicious one-pot dish:
- Chicken broth
- cream of chicken soup
- canned biscuits
While I don’t have my mother-in-law’s recipe and am unable to call her for exact directions, I believe that she would be pretty pleased with my version. I know that for the dumplings she used refrigerated canned biscuits and am not sure about the rest.
It doesn’t take special equipment to make these quick and easy chicken and dumplings – a nice large pot will do the trick.
The best shortcut to making Quick and Easy Chicken and Dumplings?
Canned biscuits. You can use either 2 cans of refrigerated biscuit dough or one package of Grands biscuit dough.
My mother-in-law’s technique for making the dumplings was to pinch off the dough into small pieces and it to the pot. I did that for years and then started to use a pizza cutter to do the trick. However, a large knife does the job even better if the dough is cold.
A tip for cooking them: smaller dumplings cook better. The dough will expand once it is placed in the warm broth.
You can use regular chicken broth or chicken bone broth. Bone broth will impart a richer, darker color to the dumplings.
Dumplings Made With Chicken Bone Broth
Chicken and Dumplings Made With Chicken Broth
Quick and Easy Chicken and Dumplings
- 1 – 32 oz carton of Chicken Broth
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 2 cans refrigerated biscuits
- pepper to taste
- Heat chicken broth in pot on medium-high heat and cook until gently boiling.
- Add chicken.
- Add cream of chicken soup and stir.
- Cut biscuits into small pieces and place in chicken broth mixture. Stir well.
- Put a small layer of pepper over dumplings. Stir well and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Chicken and Dumplings Made With Bone Broth
If you prefer dark meat, then check out the Chicken and Dumplings recipe that Martha Stewart makes. Prefer to use your Crock Pot? Sweet T Makes Three has you covered.
Got Chicken? I’ve got recipes!
- Easy Baked Chicken Taquitos – Creamy and cheesy, these Mexican favs are crispy and will be a hit for Taco Tuesday! (You say Taco, I say Taquito.)
- Chicken Fiesta Casserole– Chicken and shredded potatoes are combined in one dish to make an easy weeknight delicious dinner.
- Spicy Basil Chicken Stir-Fry – The dish is full of veggies and can be prepared in one skillet. Serve with some rice and it’s a great Thai dinner for 4-6 hungry folks.
- Sesame Chicken – Crispy, tender, sesame seed battered chicken nuggets made at home.
- Chicken Lo Mein – Noodles, chicken, and veggies tossed in a homemade sauce make this Asian chicken dish irresistible.
- Easy Chicken Fajitas – This healthy chicken dinner is made using a few store-bought ingredients cooked in a skillet and it comes together in less than 20 minutes.