Caveman Chicken and Vegetable Roast is a simple yet delicious sheet pan meal that your whole family will enjoy.
This recipe from The Everything Pegan Diet Cookbook: 300 Recipes For Starting – And Maintaining – The Pegan Diet by April Murray, RD is delicious, regardless if you are dieting or not.
The roasted veggies are the perfect complement to chicken drumsticks and together they make for an easy weeknight meal. The vegetables in this roast are carrots, potato, onion, and parsnip and they are roasted along with the chicken and garlic cloves.
The seasoning mix is made up of standard kitchen staples – dried thyme leaves, salt, and ground black pepper.
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into eighths
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 ½ pounds chicken drumsticks, skin on
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. On a large rimmed baking sheet, combine all ingredients. Toss to coat.
- Roast for 50-60 minutes or until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through, stirring halfway through. Serve immediately.
Excerpted from The Everything Pegan Diet Cookbook: 300 Recipes For Starting – and Maintaining – the Pegan Diet by April Murray, RD. Copyright © 2019 by Simon & Schuster, Inc. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 359Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 144mgSodium: 663mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 29g
Nutrition information is an approximation.
About The Everything Pegan Diet Cookbook
The Everything Pegan Diet Cookbook was written by April Murray, a Registered Dietitian who practices in California. Her book not only answers the question, “What is the Pegan diet?” but also contains 300 recipes that are a mix of vegan and Paleo wholesome recipes.
April answers questions that readers might have, such as “What can a vegan eat?” and “What are the disadvantages of the vegan diet?” She also addresses “What can a Paleo eat?” and “What are the disadvantages of the Paleo diet?”
Chapters and Recipes In The Everything Pegan Diet Cookbook
The recipes are divided into nine chapters. I am listing a few of the delicious recipes in each chapter to give you a “taste” of what you will find in the book.
- Breakfast and Brunch: Nuts and Seeds Granola Bars, Mini Quiche, Paleo Pulled Pork, Curried Chicken Salad
- Smoothies and Drinks: Mango Berry Smoothie, Sweet Citrus Smoothie, Homemade Tomato Juice, Spiced Tea
- Appetizers and Snacks: Fried Zucchini Sticks, Fresh Pepper and Black Bean Salsa, Roasted Parsnip Chips
- Salads and Dressings: French Dressing, Asian Dressing, Avocado Shimp Salad
- Soups and Stocks: Basic Vegetable Stock, Tomato Soup, Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
- Dinner Entrees” Mushrooms and Greens Over Quinoa, Coconut Cauliflower Curry with Shrimp, Veggie Chili
- Side Dishes: Lemon and Garlic Green Beans, Caveman Caponata, German Coleslaw
- Sauces and Spreads: Chimichurri Sauce, Cashew Alfredo Sauce, Strawberry Jelly
- Desserts: Easy Banana Date Cookies, Chocolate “Graham” Cracker Bars, Strawberry Coconut Ice Cream
What I love about the cookbook is that all of the recipes are made with natural, unprocessed ingredients, the sweeteners used in desserts are maple syrup and dates, and the recipes are gluten-free.
Where To Buy The Everything Pegan Diet Cookbook
Look for it at your favorite bookstore or feel free to use my affiliate link below to get it at Amazon.com.