You might be surprised to find out that you can make Chicken and Dumplings in an Instant Pot. With this recipe from The “I Love My Instant Pot®” Soups, Stews, and Chilis Recipe Book by Kelly Jaggers, you can make a batch tonight.
The most popular recipe on Southern Kissed is my adaptation of my mother-in-law’s southern Chicken and Dumplings. I am often asked if the recipe can be made in an Instant Pot.
I have not tried to make my version in the Instant Pot yet, but for those of you searching for an Instant Pot recipe of the classic southern comfort food, I am happy to provide you with a version that comes from The “I Love My Instant Pot®” Soups, Stews, and Chilis Recipe Book: From Chicken Noodle Soup to Lobster Bisque, 175 Easy and Delicious Recipes by Kelly Jaggers.
It is made using homemade dumplings that are mixed and rolled out. If you are like me, though, you might find it easier to mix the dumpling dough and when it comes time to use it, simply pinch it off into pieces and place in the broth.
If you try it, please let me know what you think about it in the comment section below.
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- ½ cup half-and-half
- ½ cup frozen peas
- In a large bowl combine flour, butter, baking powder, and salt. With your fingers rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse sand. Add eggs and milk and mix until mixture forms into a dough ball. Roll out to 1/8” thick and cut into 1” strips. Cover with a tea towel until ready to use.
- Place chicken, onion, celery, carrot, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, bay leaf, and stock in the Instant Pot®. Close lid, set steam release to Sealing, press the Manual button, and adjust cook time to 15 minutes. When the
timer beeps, let pressure release naturally, about 20 minutes.
- Press the Cancel button, open lid, discard bay leaf, and add
prepared dumplings. Close lid, set steam release to Sealing, press the Manual button, and set time to 5 minutes. When the timer beeps, quick-release the pressure. Open lid and stir in half-and-half and peas. Let stand, uncovered on the Keep Warm setting for 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Excerpted from The “I Love My Instant Pot®” Soups, Stews, and Chilis Recipe Book: From Chicken Noodle Soup to Lobster Bisque, 175 Easy and Delicious Recipes by Kelly Jaggers. Copyright © 2019 by Simon & Schuster, Inc. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 390Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 160mgSodium: 570mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 43g
Nutrition information is an approximation.
About The “I Love My Instant Pot” Soups, Stews, and Chilis Recipe Book
Whether you have had an Instant Pot for a long time or you just got it, The “I Love My Instant Pot” Soups, Stews, and Chilis Recipe Book by Kelly Jaggers will have you whipping up delicious, nourishing meals for you and your family in no time.
Chapters and Recipes in The Everything Healthy Mediterranean Cookbook
The books starts off with a quick introduction to Instant Pot basics. The recipes are divided into ten chapters. I am listing a few of the delicious recipes in each chapter to give you a “taste” of what you will find in the book.
- Broth and Stock Basics: Chicken Broth, Vegetable Broth, Mushroom Stock
- Classic Soups: French Onion Soup, Vegan Broccoli “Cheese” Soup, Lemony Chicken and Rice Soup
- Cream Soups: Cream of Chicken Soup, Creamy Pea Soup with Lemon, Wild Rice Soup
- Beans and Lentils: Green Lentil Soup, Black Bean and Sausage Soup, Heart-Healthy Black Bean Soup
- Bisques and Pureed Soups: Crab Bisque, Tomato Bisque, Vegan Spiced Sweet Potato Soup
- Chowder and Gumbo: Corn and Poblano Chowder, Shrimp Gumbo, Vegetable Chowder
- Stews: Classic Beef Stew, Pozole, Filipino Beef Stew
- Chilis: Chipotle Beer Chili, Buffalo Chicken Chili, Chicken and White Bean Chili
- New Family Favorites: Lasagna Soup, Pepperoni Pizza Stew, Shrimp Paella Soup
- International Soups: Borscht, Shoyu Ramen, Kohlsuppe
Look for it at your favorite bookstore or feel free to use my affiliate link below to get it at Amazon.com.