Skip the takeout and make Massaman Curry with Chicken at home. It’s a rich yet relatively mild dish that is great served over rice.
While most people associate Massman Curry as a Thai dish, there is the possibility that its origins are from the middle east. The name “massaman” may be a derivative of Mussulman, an archaic form of the word Muslim.
Regardless of where the dish originated, it’s delicious! Some recipes call for a massaman curry paste which has coriander, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, pepper, and nutmeg. This version is much simpler.
How To Make Massaman Curry
To streamline the process, start by combing the ingredients that will form the sauce: coconut milk, peanut butter, hoisin sauce, brown sugar, curry powder, a little fish sauce for umami, and tamari sauce.
Set it aside and get started on dicing potatoes and onions. (Tip: after dicing potatoes, keep them in a bowl covered with water. This helps to remove some of the starch and keeps them from discoloring.)
Next, cut the chicken on the bias into thin strips. Drizzle sesame oil into a large non-stick skillet and turn the burner on medium-high heat. Now it’s time to start cooking.
- 1 can coconut milk
- ¼ cup crunchy peanut butter
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp tamari sauce
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 ¼ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ cup cashews
- Combine first seven ingredients (coconut milk to tamari sauce) in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat sesame oil on medium heat in a large non-stick skillet. Add onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the ginger and garlic.
- Add chicken and cook until it is no longer pink inside.
- Stir in the coconut mixture and potatoes and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cashews. Remove from heat.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 548Saturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 939mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 6gSugar: 12gProtein: 30g