Cracklin’ Oat Bran is one of my favorite cereals. I am not the only one – in searching the internet for recipes, I found the word “crack” used a few times to describe how addicting it is. I am sharing with you my Cracklin’ Oat Bran Cereal Clone recipe so that you can make a healthier version in your own kitchen.
Cracklin’ Oat Bran Ingredients
The cereal that is sold on the shelves of grocery stores has more ingredients than the homemade version. It also contains wheat bran, wheat starch, and malt flavoring – therefore prohibiting it from being gluten-free.
The homemade version also cuts out palm, palm kernel and/or soybean oil with TBHQ, and soy lecithin.
Though my daughter is not a fan of the cereal like I am, I was able to get her to taste my homemade version and compare it to the store-bought. She *honestly* told me that she preferred mine. That’s what I am talking about! Homemade winning the showdown over the original.
An advocate of making things easier, I like to use my food processor. (Thanks, Mom, for the Christmas gift. I really am using it!)
There are no eggs or dairy products in this, so if you must sample a little before it goes in the oven it should be okay.
A nice, somewhat thin layer is ideal so that it can “dry” out when it bakes. That’s what makes it “crackle.”
Homemade vs. Commercial Version
So what if the homemade version is not shaped in the cute little “O’s” like Kellogg’s. At least I know exactly what is in my cereal and just how fresh it is.
Cracklin’ Oat Bran Cereal Clone (Gluten-Free Recipe)
- 1½ cups oats
- 1 cup oat bran
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup sweetened coconut
- ½ cup ground flax seeds
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch of nutmeg
- one-third cup coconut oil in liquid state
- one-third cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Add all of the dry ingredients to the well of a large food processor and pulse 5-6 times.
- Add remaining ingredients and process on high until mixture is moist.
- Spread mixture onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Break granola into pieces and store in an airtight container.