Chocolate chip cookies are a go-to classic. This recipe creates a gooey, dunkable eggless version. They are sure to please everyone at your holiday gathering or just delight the kids on a Friday night.
Even after they have cooled you’re sure to have a cookie that tastes like it’s fresh out of the oven. You just might declare them the best eggless chocolate chip cookies you have ever had.
Chocolate chip cookies are delicious cookies that everyone loves! They’re the perfect cookies to make cookies for any occasion, but what do you do if there are no eggs around or if someone is allergic to eggs?
Why You’ll Love Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies
- These chocolate chip cookies are so delicious nobody will notice that they are egg-free. They taste just like regular chocolate chip cookies.
- People who have egg allergies can eat these eggless cookies.
- These cookies pack well and kids love finding them in their lunch boxes.
🍽Equipment Needed To Make Cookies
- Mixing bowl and spoon or spatula
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Brown sugar
- Apple sauce
- Vanilla extract
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
🔪 How To Make Chocolate Chip Cookies without Eggs
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 375° Fahrenheit. For best results, let the oven sit at 375° for 10 minutes before baking the cookies. Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2: Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Step 3: Cream the shortening, sugar, and brown sugar together in a mixer bowl with a paddle attachment.
Step 4: Add apple sauce and vanilla to the sugar mixture and beat until well combined.
Step 5: Slowly add the dry ingredients to the cream mixture and mix at medium speed until flour mixture has been thoroughly incorporated.
Step 6: Fold in chocolate chips.
⏲️ Baking Time
Step 7: Place scoops of cookie dough balls onto a prepared baking sheet. Bake on the center rack in the preheated oven for 10 – 12 minutes or until cookies are golden brown.
Step 8: Remove cookies from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes. Remove them from the baking sheet and allow them to finish cooling on a wire rack.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Substitutions
Instead of chocolate chips, you can use peanut butter chips, raisins, or white baking chips in this cookie recipe.
💭Cookie Making Tips
- Using a silicone baking mat or parchment paper will help to keep the cookies from sticking to the baking tray.
- Make sure that your oven temperature is accurate. An oven that is not hot enough will require more baking time. If the oven is too hot, it will cause the shortening to melt too fast and the cookies might come out looking more like pancakes.
- When measuring flour, scoop the flour into a measuring cup. (Make sure you are using a measuring cup for dry ingredients, not liquid. There is a difference.). Once you have scooped your flour into the measuring cup, level the flour by scraping the back of a knife over the top of the measuring cup to help ensure that you don’t use excess flour.
- Don’t bake cookies on a baking sheet that is hot. You want to start with a baking sheet that is at room temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions
This recipe does not contain any eggs and you should be able to eat them if that is your only allergy. However, there are other possible allergens, such as gluten in the flour and dairy in the chocolate chips.
Yes! These cookies freeze very well. Freeze them on a baking sheet and then transfer them to an airtight container once frozen.
No. For best results, store cookies at room temperature in an airtight container.
No. While you would think that you could because there are no eggs, you should not eat raw cookie dough. Flour is a “raw” ingredient if it has not been baked and could still cause you to become ill.
Looking for other recipes without eggs? This recipe for fried apples might hit the sweet spot. Blackberry Cobbler and Peach Cobbler are two more recipes I love that are made without eggs that you might enjoy, too!
Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream the shortening, sugar, and brown sugar together in a mixer bowl with a paddle attachment.
- Add apple sauce and vanilla to cream mixture and beat until well combined.
- Slowly add flour mixture to cream mixture and mix at medium speed until flour mixture has been thoroughly incorporated.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Place scoops of cookie dough on baking sheet. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until cookies are golden brown.
- Remove cookies from oven and let them cool on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes. Remove them from baking sheet and allow them to finish cooling on a wire rack.
Be sure to come back and tell us how your Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies turned out!