This Chicken and Black Bean Burrito Skillet is a healthy, one-skillet chicken dish that can be on the table in just 30 minutes, so it is perfect for those busy weeknights when you’re tempted to grab some takeout.
To round out the meal, try pairing this dish with Easy Refried Beans, steamed brown rice, or with a fresh green salad.
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 2 red or green bell peppers, diced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1 t. smoked paprika
- 1 t. Mexican oregano
- ½ t. chipotle powder
- 1 14- oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 c. frozen corn
- ½ c. fresh cilantro, roughly chopped, divided
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
Optional, to serve:
- ½ c. Monterey Jack, shredded
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- 1 large lime, sliced into 8 wedges
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are soft and slightly caramelized, around 7-8 minutes.
- Add chicken, ground cumin, smoked paprika, Mexican oregano, and chipotle powder and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is lightly browned on all sides, around 3-4 minutes. Season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Stir in black beans and frozen corn. Cook, stirring once or twice, until everything is warmed through, around 6-8 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
- Remove from heat and stir in half of the fresh cilantro and lime juice. If using, sprinkle cheese on top and cover with until cheese melts. Serve immediately topped with remaining cilantro, chopped avocado, and fresh lime wedges, if desired. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 584Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 157mgSodium: 675mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 12gSugar: 5gProtein: 65g
Nutrition information is an approximation.
Do you like burritos?
If you are a meat-free burrito lover, then check out this vegan-friendly recipe: