This Chicken and Black Bean Burrito Skillet is a healthy, one-skillet chicken dish that can be on the table in just 30 minutes, so it is perfect for those busy weeknights when you’re tempted to grab some takeout.
To round out the meal, try pairing this dish with Easy Refried Beans, steamed brown rice, or with a fresh green salad.
Chicken and Black Bean Burrito Skillet
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium red onion diced
- 2 red or green bell peppers diced
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1 t. smoked paprika
- 1 t. Mexican oregano
- ½ t. chipotle powder
- 1 14- oz. can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 c. frozen corn
- ½ c. fresh cilantro roughly chopped, divided
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
Optional, to serve:
- ½ c. Monterey Jack shredded
- 1 large avocado chopped
- 1 large lime sliced into 8 wedges
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are soft and slightly caramelized, around 7-8 minutes.
- Add chicken, ground cumin, smoked paprika, Mexican oregano, and chipotle powder and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is lightly browned on all sides, around 3-4 minutes. Season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Stir in black beans and frozen corn. Cook, stirring once or twice, until everything is warmed through, around 6-8 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
- Remove from heat and stir in half of the fresh cilantro and lime juice. If using, sprinkle cheese on top and cover with until cheese melts. Serve immediately topped with remaining cilantro, chopped avocado, and fresh lime wedges, if desired. Enjoy!
This dish is tasty and would be a great meal to serve to your gluten-free friends.
Do you like burritos?