These classic gingersnap cookies taste just like the holidays, but you don’t have to wait on a holiday to get here to enjoy them!
One bite of these cookies and you just might start having visions of mistletoe. They are loaded with spices that are reminiscent of the holidays. Let’s take a quick look at how to make them.
How To Make Chewy Gingersnap Cookies
There are three basic steps for making chewy gingersnap cookies: 1) make the dough, 2) chill the dough, and 3) bake the cookies.
To make the dough, you start by creaming butter, shortening, and sugar (brown and granulated) together.
Next, you mix in molasses and then add eggs.
In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, and spices.
Now it’s time to combine the wet ingredients and dry ingredients. Make sure to mix it all together well. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill for one hour.
When the hour is up, preheat your oven to 375 °F. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and form 1-inch balls.
Roll the balls in sugar and place them on a baking sheet.
(If you have Silpat baking sheets, go ahead and use them.)
Bake the cookies for 8 – 11 minutes or until they are nicely browned. I like to let mine sit on a baking sheet for 2 minutes after I remove them from the oven and then transfer them to a wire cooling rack.
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cream the butter, shortening, brown sugar, and ½ cup granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl with a hand-held mixer.
- Mix in the molasses, and then add the eggs and mix to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and spices. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until thoroughly
incorporated. Transfer the dough to the refrigerator and chill for one hour.
- While the dough is chilling, place top oven rack in center position and pre-heat oven to 375°F. Line two large rimmed baking sheets with
parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat and set aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and form into 1-inch balls. Roll
balls of dough in remaining ½ cup granulated sugar until coated.
- Place balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between each ball. Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 8
- 11 minutes or until cookies are nicely browned and cooked through.
- Remove cookies from oven and cool on wire rack before serving. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 191mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is an approximation.