Potato Soup is a delicious, warming dish that will keep you warm on those chilly days. Made with potatoes and onion in chicken broth this soup can be served as an appetizer or main course to fill hungry bellies!
Top it with Cheddar cheese and serve it alongside some warm crusty bread for the ultimate comfort food experience.
For this comforting soup recipe, you need the following ingredients:
- Potatoes (I usually use russet potatoes.)
- Sweet onions or yellow onions
- Green onions
- Carrots (I like to use carrot matchsticks.)
- Chicken broth
- Salt and black pepper
- Garlic cloves
- Dried basil
- Crushed red pepper
- Hot sauce
- Heavy whipping cream
- Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
👩🏻🍳 How To Make Potato Soup
Begin by frying bacon in a large pot. I like to cook the bacon so that it is a little bit crisp yet still pliable.
While the bacon is cooking, start preparing the vegetables by washing and slicing the green onions and celery. My family does not like the texture of celery, so we leave it rather large so that we can easily find it and remove it from the soup later.
Remove the bacon from the pot, but leave the drippings in to help flavor the soup. At this point, I like to break the bacon into pieces and place it in the refrigerator. It will be used to garnish the soup.
Dice the onions, and slice the potatoes into small chunks.
Layer it all in a large chili or soup pot. When I say large, I mean HUGE.
On top of the vegetables, pour chicken broth and then add some hot sauce and spices.
Bring it to a simmer and then cover the soup and let it cook for a couple of hours.
After the soup has simmered for a couple of hours, remove the celery stalks.
Add the stick of butter and heavy whipping cream and allow to simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
To thicken it, carefully place an immersion blender in the pot and puree a small amount. (Note: while immersion blenders can be used in nonstick cookware, do not allow them to touch the bottom.) You could alternatively scoop out some of the hot soup and puree it in a blender.
Ladle pureed soup into bowls and garnish each bowl of soup with cheese, bacon bits, green onions, and sour cream if desired.
Like soup? Be sure to check out these other tasty soup recipes at Southern Kissed:
Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe
- 12 ounces bacon
- 5 pounds potatoes
- 2 sweet onions
- 5 celery stalks
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 bag carrot matchsticks
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 ½ teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 5 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- In Large Chili pot, cook bacon until brown and crisp. Remove from pot and allow to drain on paper towels. Once bacon has cooled, break or cut into pieces and refrigerate. .
- While bacon cooks, Peel potatoes and then cut into small cubes, about ½ inch in size.
- Dice onions and trim edges off of celery.
- Rinse green onions and cut off roots and top 1-2 inches. Chop into small pieces about ⅛ inch long. Reserve and refrigerate ½ cup for garnish.
- Once bacon has finished cooking, on top of bacon drippings add potatoes, bag of carrots, onions, celery, and green onions. Add chicken broth to pot.
- Add spices and hot sauce and bring pot to low boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 1 ½ hours.
- Remove celery stalks.
- Add the stick of butter and heavy whipping cream and allow to simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully puree soup mixture for a few seconds – until it has a creamy texture and appearance.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with cheese, bacon, green onions, and sour cream if desired.
Be sure to come back and tell us how your soup turned out!