This Cheeseburger Soup recipe is rich and creamy and is made using an Instant Pot. It has all of the flavors we love in a cheeseburger in a bowl!
Because this cheeseburger soup recipe is made in the Instant Pot, it won’t have to simmer all day to develop its flavors.
To make it, you start by sauteeing onion and ground beef. You can use regular ground beef if you like, but ground sirloin is a leaner variety of beef and is well suited for this dish.
Once the beef is almost cooked, it is time to add potatoes and beef broth and put the pressure cooker to work. Once it is finished, allow the pressure cooker to release naturally.
To prevent heavy cream from curdling when added to the soup, add 2-3 tablespoons of the hot broth from inside the Instant Pot to the cream and stir. Slowly add the cream mixture to the soup base in the Instant Pot.
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium white onion, finely diced
- 1 lb. ground sirloin
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. red potatoes, chopped small
- 3 cups beef broth, preferably organic, divided
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot® inner cooking pot and select the “Sauté’ function. Use the “Adjust” button to select the “Normal” (medium) setting.
- Once hot, add the diced onion and ground sirloin. Add the Italian seasoning and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir to combine and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion develops some color and the beef is mostly browned, approximately 6-7 minutes.
- Push the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button and add the red potatoes and beef broth. Add lid and lock into place. Switch the vent to “Sealing” and select the “Manual” setting on “High.” Adjust cook time to 3 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then do a quick release for any remaining steam before carefully removing the lid.
- To prevent curdling, temper the heavy cream by adding 2-3 tablespoons of the hot liquid from inside the Instant Pot® to it before adding it to the container. Stir to combine.
- Add the cheddar cheese, one cup at a time, and stir until completely melted. Serve immediately with some freshly chopped parsley and a sprinkle of smoked paprika for garnish, if desired. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 983Total Fat: 72gSaturated Fat: 38gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 239mgSodium: 1551mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 62g
Nutrition information is an approximation.
Serve immediately with some freshly chopped parsley and a sprinkle of smoked paprika for garnish, if desired. Enjoy!
Like bacon cheeseburgers? Garnish the soup with some cooked, chopped bacon. Love pickles? Go ahead and add some diced pickles on top for the ultimate cheeseburger soup.