This homemade vanilla ice cream recipe is easy to make and is made with wholesome ingredients. It’s delicious by itself or topped with fresh fruit, caramel, or chocolate.
Did you know that next month is National Ice Cream Month? That’s right – for the entire month of July you should enjoy ice cream. Every. Single. Day.
Just kidding. Moderation is the key to everything, of course.
I am here to tell you that you don’t have to wait until July to enjoy ice cream. You can make some today with a few simple ingredients – all with names that you can pronounce like cream and milk.
You take whipping cream, whole milk (I like the kind with a cream line, or cream on top), egg yolks, and sugar and whisk in a large sauce pan. Slowly heat the ingredients over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat source, stir in some vanilla flavoring, and allow it to cool to room temperature. Then refrigerate it for several hours or overnight.
If you have an indoor ice cream maker like I do, make sure that the freezer bowl has been properly frozen. Place your ingredients in the bowl and churn it according to manufacturer’s directions.
It shouldn’t take too long to get the creamy mixture to a soft-serve consistency.
You can eat it now or place it in a freezer container and freeze for several hours until it firms up and becomes scoop-able.
Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Place whipping cream, milk, egg yolks, and sugar in a large saucepan. Whisk constantly over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, or until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Add vanilla and remove from heat.
- Allow cream mixture to cool completely (at least 1 hour). To prevent a "skin" from forming, cover custard mixture with a layer of plastic wrap. Chill for 8 to 24 hours.
- Pour mixture into ice cream freezer container and process according to manufacturer's directions.
- Freeze in an airtight container.