Strawberry Almond Flour Cake – this recipe for a delicious cake made with almond flour and is so good you won’t notice that it is gluten-free.
America’s oldest flour company, King Arthur Flour, was founded in 1790 in Boston. The employee-owned company relocated their headquarters to Vermont in 1984. Today, visitors to KAF can stop by the bakery and cafe for a quick bite to eat (or to buy some fresh baked bread), shop at the store, and take a class that is offered at the Baking Education Center.
Recently I was browsing through their gluten-free recipes online and saw the recipe for Strawberry Almond Flour Cake and knew immediately that I had to try it. Making this cake takes a little more work than preparing a box of mix from the store, but I found it to be worthwhile. There are great step-by-step instructions on King Arthur’s website and I highly recommend that you read and follow them (click here for directions).
The beauty of this cake is that it is grain free, meaning that it is perfect for those following gluten-free diets. But you don’t have to be on a special diet to enjoy it. The cake itself is quite delicious. For some reason it reminded me of a pound cake, though much lighter in texture. Topped with sliced, fresh strawberries it makes a simple, yet elegant dessert to share (or enjoy by yourself!).
You could arrange your strawberry slices in an orderly fashion on top, or you could do like I did and just spread some lightly sweetened slices on top. Don’t like strawberries? The base of the cake would work well with other fruit, too.
- 4 large eggs, separated
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ to 2 cups sliced strawberries, for topping
- *Replace the 1 tablespoon coconut flour with ¼ cup almond flour, if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8" round pan with butter (dairy-free if desired) or coconut oil. Swirl it in the pan and make sure it goes up the sides. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the sugar listed in the ingredients into the bottom of the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolks, ¼ cup of the sugar, and the vanilla until smooth.
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer, whip the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Slowly beat in the remaining ¼ cup sugar. Set aside.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients — flours, baking powder and salt — and add to the egg yolks. Stir together to form a thick dough.
- Fold in the egg whites, ½ cup at a time, incorporating them fully between each addition. The final addition should result in a smooth, fluffy batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake on the center rack for 30 to 35 minutes, until it's golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the sides, then turn the cake out onto a serving plate.
- Allow the cake to cool fully before topping with sliced strawberries, or the fruit of your choice.
Click here for step-by-step visual directions at King Arthur Flour.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Saturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 106mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 18gProtein: 6g