Seven cans of simple ingredients make this homemade vegetable soup recipe super easy to make. Canned tomatoes combined with heart-healthy beans and mixed veggies are slow-cooked in a Crockpot and make a delicious homemade soup. It will fill you up without weighing you down.
This is a family favorite recipe that is easy for cooks of all levels to make. The rich flavor of the soup comes from the marriage of the flavors of the canned vegetables – all without an ounce of chicken broth or vegetable broth.
Serve with some crusty French bread for a comforting meal that you will want to add to your weekly meal planning rotation.
The hardest part about making this recipe is opening cans. You need one each of the following:
- Diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions
- Petite diced tomatoes
- Ro*Tel or tomatoes with green chiles
- Mixed vegetables (be sure to get one with green beans)
- Corn kernels
- Kidney beans
- Chili beans
If you like spicy food, you can easily substitute a can of Hot Ro*Tel for the original. You really could use any variety of diced tomatoes that have some sort of spicy peppers to liven up the soup. Key tip: do NOT drain the cans.
How To Make Easy Seven Can Soup
- Open the Cans: Begin your culinary adventure by opening all seven cans. No chopping or slicing is required – it’s that easy!
- Dump and Stir: In your trusty slow cooker, add the diced tomatoes, mixed vegetables, green beans, corn, black beans, vegetable broth, and tomato sauce. Give it a gentle stir to combine the flavors.
- Season to Perfection: Enhance the soup with a pinch of salt and a dash of pepper. Adjust the seasonings to your taste.
- Set It and Forget It: Place the lid on your slow cooker and set it to low heat. Let the ingredients simmer together for 4-8 hours, allowing the flavors to meld and develop.
- Serve and Savor: Once the soup is hot and bubbling, ladle it into bowls. Serve with your favorite crusty bread or a sprinkle of shredded cheese for an extra touch of goodness.
If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can make this soup on the stove. Place all of the ingredients in a large stock pot or Dutch oven. Bring the soup to a boil at medium-high heat, lower the temperature and then simmer on the stovetop for about half an hour.
Store leftover vegetable soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
If you have any leftover soup, you can freeze them and enjoy later. Once the soup has cooled, ladle it into an airtight container like ziplock freezer bags. I recommend using quart size. Try to remove excess air from the bag to help prevent freezer burn. Date the freezer bag and use within 2 months for best results.
When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in a pot on the stove.
In addition to French bread, a bowl of vegetable soup pairs well with cornbread, like Peppered Cornbread or Jalapeno Cornbread.
When I don’t have the ingredients on hand to make cornbread, we eat this wonderful soup with whatever we can find in the pantry, usually tortilla chips, corn chips, or saltine crackers.
In a pinch, you can replace the can of corn with 2 cups frozen corn. You can also replace the can of mixed vegetables with frozen mixed vegetables. I do not recommend substituting the other items with frozen equivalents.
Absolutely. While I prefer to use the slow cook function just like a slow cooker/Crock Pot, you can also use it to make vegetable soup in a hurry.
Pour the cans into your Instant Pot. Place the lid on the IP and turn the knob to SEAL. Push the manual button/Pressure Cook, and set the time for 4 minutes. Once the time is up, Quick Release the pressure, stir, and enjoy!
If you like vegetarian soups, you’re in luck! This recipe can be made into a vegan- or vegetarian-friendly meal. Simply use a can of chili WITHOUT meat.
For more tasty soup recipes, check out theSe Dishes
- Quick and Easy Taco Soup – This is a vegetarian take on the ever-popular taco soup. It’s unlikely anyone will notice that it’s meat-free.
- Potato Soup – This has to be the recipe that my husband wants me to make the most. It’s rich and creamy and loaded with potatoes.
- Lasagna Soup in a Bowl – This wholesome soup is made in the slow cooker making it a great option for when you don’t want to be stuck in the kitchen but still want something good to eat.
Easy Seven Can Soup Recipe
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can chili beans
- 1 can mixed vegetables
- 1 can corn
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomatoes with bell peppers and onion
- 1 can original Ro*Tel
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and set on low.
- Cook for 4-8 hours.
Be sure to come back and tell us how your Seven Can Vegetable Soup turned out!