Baking with Chia Seeds
Sure, you can sprinkle chia seeds on foods to boost your nutrition, but did you know they’re easy to bake with as well? Chia seeds can be used as replacements for foods within recipes, such as eggs and fats, because of their binding and thickening characteristics. For a recipe with texture, such as cookies, muffins or breads with nuts, seeds, etc., whole chia seeds work great, whereas ground chia seeds are great for cakes, brownies and other less-textured baked goods.
Waffles may not be the healthiest way to start the day, but they sure are a delicious way. I added some chia seeds to mine to increase the fiber and protein content. While not a large boost, it is a great way to introduce little ones to chia seeds.
Whole Chia Seeds
Add batter to waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions.
It’s okay if the batter does not go all the way to the edges. It will spread some as it bakes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup whole chia seeds
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a medium size bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and chia seeds.
- Make a well in the center of flour mixture and add egg, buttermilk, milk, oil, and vanilla and mix until well blended. Add chocolate chips and mix.
- Spray waffle iron with non-stick spray and add batter per manufacturer's instructions and cook until done.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 465 Saturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 39mg Sodium: 198mg Carbohydrates: 61g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 24g Protein: 10g
A little maple syrup and a dollop of whipped cream. Yum!
Top 10 ways to use Salba Chia:
1. Sprinkled on top of salads (think sesame seed)
2. To make healthy pudding
3. To thicken soup or gravy
4. Mixed in oatmeal, yogurt or a smoothie
5. To make homemade energy gel
6. As a “breading” for baking chicken
7. In a meatloaf!
8. Chia seeds soaked in fruit juice as a topping for ice cream or cheesecake
9. Baked in cookies, brownies or cake
10. Soak chia seeds in milk and mix through hot oatmeal
BONUS! Check out Salba Chia on Pinterest for more recipes!