Blueberry muffins are my favorite type of muffin, especially when they are bakery-style. The sweet crumbly topping is the pièce de résistance for me.
A few years ago I found a recipe online and it was love at first batch. Okay – I know I am not good at making up funny lines, but it was love at first bite. The batter creates a light, moist crumb, and the topping is sweet and crumbly. For me, it really is the perfect bakery-style blueberry muffin recipe to make at home.
How To Make Bakery-Style Blueberry Muffins at Home
To make it, start by preparing the crumb topping. I find that it works best to use softened butter. If the topping is too moist, refrigerate it for a bit to firm up. You can then take a fork to break it up into small pieces.
Next, I make the batter. It’s best not to over mix the batter. Doing so will result in tough muffins.
Next, the blueberries get dusted with a little flour and sugar before being folded into the batter.
Now there are just a few more things to do: spoon the batter into prepared muffin cups, sprinkle on the topping, and bake for about 20 minutes.
One last thing – they need to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 5 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Combine topping ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl until it becomes crumbly. Set aside.
- For the muffins, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted butter. Pour liquid ingredients into flour mixture and blend until moistened. Combine blueberries, flour, and sugar and fold into batter.
- Spoon batter into 18 prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with topping. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until done.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 36mg Sodium: 266mg Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 18g Protein: 3g
What’s your favorite muffin?
Recipe adapted from http://acooksquest.blogspot.com/2011/04/102-blueberry-muffins.html.
Other Southern Kissed Favorite Recipes You Might Like: