I am was sitting at my computer and started to work on this post about BBQ Baked Beans when I could not stand it any longer. After editing pictures of the beans that I made last night, I had to go and get a bowl for lunch. At 10 a.m.
I made this dish in honor of National Barbecue Month which takes place in May every year. I started with a recipe that my mom acquired years ago when she lived in Germany for Calico Baked Beans and made a few alterations.
I started by cooking bacon in large non-stick skillet. Bacon – because it is awesome, non-stick skillet – because scrubbing a skillet is not fun.
Next, I browned a pound of ground beef along with 1/2 cup of chopped onion. Once the beef was cooked, I added the bacon back to the pan and added 3 cans of beans (Pinto, Kidney, and Butter Bean – though you can probably use just about any kind of canned bean that you like), barbecue sauce, and a little bit of water. I covered the dish and baked it for 50 minutes and voilà!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 16- ounce package bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 16 ounce can Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 16 ounce can Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15.5 ounce can Butter Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups Bar-B-Q Sauce
- 1/2 - 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook bacon in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until done. Cut or tear cooked bacon into 1-inch pieces and set aside. Drain fat from skillet.
- Add ground beef and onion to skillet and cook until the meat is no longer pink. Drain fat.
- Return cooked bacon and add remaining ingredients to skillet and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and spoon into casserole dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 442Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 1032mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 32g
Nutrition information is an approximation.
You know, I just thought the beans were good last night. But after having them for lunch today, I think they are even better the next day.
What do you like to serve with barbecue?
Other Recipes You Might Like: