These Korean Beef Bowls are grain-free and low-carb and make a great weeknight dinner.
Living a life without grains may seem like an impossible task, but it doesn’t have to be. I would like to tell you a little about Laura Fuentes, author of The Best Grain-Free Family Meals on the Planet and founder of MOMables.com, as well as share with you her recipe for Korean Beef Bowls. You could say that she has mastered the grain-free lifestyle.
Laura struggled with digestive issues and at the age of 24 had to have emergency gall bladder surgery. After that, she removed all fried foods from her diet, “added lean animal proteins back in, and limited processed ingredients.” Though she felt “fine,” she didn’t feel great.
After suffering from seasonal allergies which became worse during her pregnancies, along with a newborn who would become fussy after nursing, she did some research and discovered that gluten and dairy proteins are passed through breast milk. After removing them from her diet, her baby responded well to the changes and she noticed significant improvement herself.
Fast forward a bit and two of her three children have dietary restrictions, so three out of five family members have to be cautious about what they eat. What’s a family to do? Instead of spending additional time preparing different meals to accommodate different dietary needs, Laura created recipes that the entire family can enjoy together.
Silver Dollar Pancakes
In her book, The Best Grain-Free Family Meals on the Planet, she included recipes for breakfast, lunch, family meals, as well as snacks and treats. Some that have caught my attention are Grain-Free Breakfast Cookies, Chocolate Puffs (a homemade cereal), Peanut and Chicken Lettuce Cups, Almond Chicken Salad, Braised Chicken Thighs with Carrots and Potatoes, Midweek Paella, Creamy Thai Chicken, Skillet Teriyaki Chicken, Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Strawberry Soft-Serve, and Pineapple Whip Ice Cream.
Blueberry No-Bran Muffins
I think that one of the best things about the book is the overall message that you can live a grain-free lifestyle with your family. Below is the recipe for Laura’s Korean Beef Bowls. Give it a try and see how delicious grain-free can be.
Korean Beef Bowls From The Best Grain-Free Family Meals on the Planet
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 bunch scallions chopped, white and green parts separated
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili paste Sriracha
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds optional
- 3 to 4 cups cauliflower rice
- 1 pound broccoli florets steamed
- In a small bowl, stir together the coconut aminos, honey, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, white scallion parts, pepper, and chili paste.
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, heat the cooking oil. Brown the meat for 5 to 8 minutes, breaking it up with a spatula as it cooks. Continue cooking until the meat is no longer pink. Add the sauce to the skillet, bringing it to a quick boil, and then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 4 minutes.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with green scallion tops and sesame seeds (if using) over the cauliflower rice with steamed broccoli on the side.
Korean Beef Bowl
Look for The Best Grain-Free Family Meals on the Planet at your local bookstore or at Amazon.com.