This post was sponsored by Sunshine Sweet Corn as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
I love corn. I also love salads. So when I spotted the recipe for Spicy Roasted Corn, Chicken and Avocado Salad on the Sunshine Sweet Corn website, I knew I had to try it, especially since Sunshine Sweet Corn is in season right now. Perfect timing for Cinco de Mayo!
Why Sunshine Sweet Corn?
Because it’s non-GMO! Sunshine Sweet Corn is regulated for quality and is the cream of the crop. To top all of that, it’s on sale now.
About Spicy Roasted Corn, Chicken and Avocado Salad
the recipe is made with lots of whole food, plant-based ingredients. (We all could use more veggies in our lives, right?) In addition to Sunshine Sweet Corn, there are radishes, tomatoes, and avocado, not to mention the bed of lettuce that it all tops.
Another plus about the salad is that it is easy to make. There are basically three steps for making it:
- Season, marinate, and cook the corn.
- Combine chicken, tomatoes, radishes and avocado in a spicy dressing.
- Assemble the salad.
Doesn’t it look delicious? It was!
Now’s a great time to pull out your cookbooks or to head over to Sunshine Sweet Corn website for corn recipes. Recipes such Sweet Corn, Tomato & Avocado Salsa, Cheesy Corn Pizza with Bacon and Scallions, Fire Roasted Corn and Chorizo Dip, Grilled Sweet Corn and Shrimp Risotto, and Sweet Corn Pudding with Macerated Strawberries. Yes, corn can even be made into a dessert!
- The average ear of corn has 800 kernels in 16 rows.
- The corn cobb is actually part of a “flower” and the kernels are “seeds.”
- 1 bushel of corn is equal to 8 gallons. A bushel of corn weighs 56 pounds – it’s about the weight of a large bag of dog food.
- Corn cobbs always have an even number of rows.
- Corn contains fiber, potassium, vitamin C, Vitamin A, protein and carbohydrates for energy.
- Native Americans taught early settlers how to make various corn dishes including corn bread, corn pudding, corn soup, and fried corn cakes.
Spicy Roasted Corn, Chicken and Avocado Salad
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 ears fresh supersweet corn husk and silk removed
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken about 10 ounces
- 1 cup halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup sliced radishes
- 2 fully ripened Hass avocados halved, pitted and peeled
- Spicy Salad Dressing recipe follows
- 4 cups mixed salad greens in bite-sized pieces
Preheat broiler to high. In a small cup, combine lime juice, chili powder and salt. Brush corn ears with the seasoning mixture; place on a broiler pan. Broil 6 inches from heat source until lightly browned; turn and continue broiling until barely cooked, a total of 7 to 10 minutes. Cool.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine, chicken, tomatoes and radishes. Cut each avocado into slices then cut slices in half crosswise; add to chicken mixture. Add ¼ cup Spicy Salad Dressing; toss gently.
Cut two or three ¼-inch slices from each corn ear; set aside. Cut remaining corn kernels from the cobs, by holding the ear upright in a shallow bowl so the kernels don’t scatter. Divide salad greens among 4 dinner plates. Top with the chicken mixture then corn kernels. Garnish with reserved corn rounds. Serve with additional dressing, if desired.
Spicy Salad Dressing
To ½ cup of your favorite vinaigrette dressing, add 1 teaspoon chili powder, and 1/8 teaspoon each ground cumin and ground red pepper (cayenne).