You’ll score extra points with this Sloppy Joe Dip at your next tailgate or party. Get some corn chips and scoop up its cheesy, meaty deliciousness and cheer your team on to the SEC Championship!
The recipe for Sloppy Joe Dip comes from The All-New Official SEC Tailgating Cookbook: Great Food, Legendary Teams, Cherished Traditions. It’s a cookbook that is perfect for the SEC football lovin’ fan.
Sloppy Joe Dip comes together easily and is pretty versatile, too, in my opinion. Not only could it be used as a dip, but if someone is really craving a sandwich, you can put the dip inside of a hamburger bun and eat it for a meal.
How To Make Sloppy Joe Dip
SLOPPY JOE DIP
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 1 ⁄2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 ⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion from 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 15-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 ⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 8-ounce package pre-shredded Cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
- Corn chips such as Fritos Scoops
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the beef, and cook, stirring often, until the meat crumbles and is no longer pink, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, ketchup, Dijon, brown sugar, tomato paste, Worcestershire, vinegar, paprika, red pepper, and salt.
- Reduce the heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Transfer the mixture to a 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup cheese, and bake at 400°F until the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. Serve with the corn chips.
Excerpted from The All-New Official SEC ® Tailgating Cookbook by the Editors of Southern Living. Copyright © 2018 Oxmoor House. Reprinted with permission from Time Inc. Books, a division of Meredith Corporation. New York, NY. All rights reserved.
About The All-New Official SEC Tailgating Cookbook: Great Food, Legendary Teams, Cherished Traditions
The ultimate guide to game day, THE ALL-NEW OFFICIAL SEC TAILGATING COOKBOOK has 150+ crave-worthy tailgating recipes, including those specifically developed for each of the 14 NCAA Southeastern Conference football teams.
From Alabama to Vanderbilt, each SEC team is profiled with information on school traditions, iconic football moments, legendary coaches and players, and photos. You’ll also find a menu of four recipes, plus a customized spritzer, jalapeño popper, and whoopie pie for each team.
No matter where your team loyalties lie, you can make dishes perfectly suited for game day.
- Fried Chicken, Green Tomato and Waffles with Sriracha Syrup for Alabama Crimson Tide;
- Ham-and-Cheddar Pinwheels for Arkansas Razorbacks;
- Loaded Potato Skins for Kentucky Wildcats;
- Fried Oyster Po’Boy Sliders for LSU Fighting Tigers;
- Loaded Golden Ravioli Nachos for Missouri Tigers;
- Peach Cobbler Bread Pudding for Auburn Tigers;
- Peanut Brittle Puppy Chow for Georgia Bulldogs (p. 253); and much more!
Which is your favorite SEC team?
Look for THE ALL-NEW OFFICIAL SEC TAILGATING COOKBOOK at your favorite bookstore or at Amazon.com.