If you like spicy dishes then you are going to LOVE this Thai Spicy Basil Chicken Stir-Fry recipe. The dish is full of veggies and can be prepared in one skillet. Serve with some rice and it’s a great Thai dinner for 4-6 hungry folks.
This recipe came about because my husband absolutely loves spicy Thai dishes, but where we live there is only one Thai restaurant and the spicy dish he tried there was not spicy enough. I found a spicy shrimp recipe in a magazine and made some modifications to suit our tastes and voilà! Thai Spicy Basil Chicken Stir-Fry.
It does take a little bit of time getting all of the vegetables prepped, but once the prep work is done, the rest goes by fast.
We julienne a red and green bell pepper and also cut an onion into slices roughly 1-2 inches long. For added texture, we slice a couple of peeled carrots on the diagonal. For heat, we use sliced jalapenos and serrano chiles, leaving the seeds in. For less heat, you can remove the seeds.
You can’t have Thai Spicy Basil Chicken Stir-Fry without basil. I find it sometimes easier to buy one of the organic whole plants at the grocery store because it takes about a cup of basil in this recipe. I wash the leaves and roll them up and then slice them thin. (This is called chiffonade.)
Once all of the prep work is done, it’s time to get cooking! We like to serve this over a bed of jasmine rice.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly cut on the bias
- 2-3 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2-3 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 2-3 carrots, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced green bell peppers
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 cup quartered button mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic, optional
- 2 thinly sliced serrano chiles
- 2 jalapenos, sliced
- ½ – 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves, sliced into thin ribbons
- Cook chicken in sesame oil until no longer pink. Remove to plate and set aside.
- Whisk together broth, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over high. Add onions and carrots; stir-fry 1-2 minutes. Add bell peppers, water chestnuts, and mushrooms; stir-fry 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken, garlic, jalapenos and serrano and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in broth mixture; simmer until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in basil and heat until wilted (about a minute). Serve with rice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 736 Total Fat: 46g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 36g Cholesterol: 98mg Sodium: 1584mg Carbohydrates: 41g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 21g Protein: 41g
This Thai Spicy Basil Chicken Stir-Fry recipe has become a family favorite, thanks to flavor profile and heat. If you like spicy dishes, too, then you will probably like my recipe for Peppered Cornbread which is made using habanero cheese and jalapenos, as well as my recipe for Pineapple Habanero Jelly, when served with crackers and cream cheese, is a great appetizer.