Keto Sausage Balls with Almond Flour & Parmesan Cheese – Deliciously seasoned Italian sausage, combined with sharp cheddar cheese, salty parmesan cheese, onions, and almond flour make the perfect snack or dinner protein. At only 3.5g net carbs for four, this keto recipe can be enjoyed worry-free!
These keto sausage balls make great appetizers, dinner protein, or savory, filling breakfast treats. With only 3.5 grams of net carbs, they are easy to fit into your daily macros on a ketogenic diet. This sausage ball (without Bisquick!) recipe is one that you will make over and over again.
These easy, seven ingredient keto sausage balls are so delicious that you won’t even miss the Bisquick! They’re much healthier than the classic recipe and are just as easy to make. My favorite part (and what makes them stand out from regular sausage balls) is the addition of parmesan to the mix – YUM!
You can easily make these sausage balls from scratch, thanks to this recipe from 30 Minute Ketogenic Cooking: 50+ Mouthwatering Low-Carb Recipes to Save You Time and Money.
Why You Should Make This Keto Sausage Balls Recipe:
- They’re a keto-friendly twist on a classic recipe.
- These sausage balls are easy to make!
- The cheeses and sausage make a delicious combination that can’t be beat!
- These sausage balls are very versatile – these can be an appetizer, a breakfast food, or even a snack. An extra bonus? They are grab-and-go friendly!
- They’re so yummy that you’ll never miss the Bisquick!
- You probably have most of the ingredients on hand (and if you don’t, they’re all easy to find!)
- They will last for several days in the fridge, so you can enjoy these sausage balls more than once!
For this cheesy, meaty keto appetizer, you need the following ingredients:
- Italian sausage
- blanched almond flour
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- grated Parmesan cheese
- dried minced onions
- baking powder
- Wire cooling rack
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Large mixing bowl
🔪 How To Make Keto Sausage Balls with Almond Flour & Parm
Step 1: To make these keto sausage balls, you begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Set a wire cooling rack inside a rimmed baking sheet.
Step 2: Place all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and, using your hands, mix until well incorporated.
Step 3: Form the meat mixture into 1 ½ – 2-inch meatballs, making a total of 24.
Step 4: Place the meatballs on the wire rack. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Substitutions & Variations
- If almond flour is not your favorite, you can substitute it for a different type of flour. Keep in mind, though, that almond flour is the best choice if you are on a keto diet.
- Egg substitute can be used instead of egg in these sausage balls if that is your preference/dietary need. Just be sure to check the container of the egg substitute that you use to make sure that the correct amount is substituted.
- If you are dairy free, a vegan cheese substitute can be used in this recipe.
These keto sausage balls will last in the fridge for up to four days if stored in a sealed container. To reheat refrigerated sausage balls, put them in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until warm.
If you want to cook them later, roll them into balls and freeze them for up to 3 months. To freeze cooked sausage balls, store them in an airtight container, and they will last for up to 2 months. Keep in mind, though, that they may be a little dry if this method is used.
If you plan on freezing them, your best bet is to do this before you cook them.
Keto Sausage Balls FAQs
Yes, these sausage balls can be served at room temperature. If used as an appetizer, these can be left out for up to 2 hours. Just be sure to keep them refrigerated and covered until you are ready to serve.
This is a personal preference. Use whichever brand/flavor is your favorite.
Sure, you can use any type of flour for this sausage ball recipe. To keep it keto-friendly, though, I do recommend using almond flour.
What to Pair/Serve with Sausage Balls
- If you prefer to have your sausage balls as a breakfast dish, try pairing with eggs and cauliflower hashbrowns for a yummy, filling breakfast.
- If you’d like to add an “adult drink”, these sausage balls are delicious when paired with a chilled mimosa.
- These keto sausage balls make a great addition to any appetizer bar! I love them paired with spinach dip, hummus, or really any other appetizer that you can think of. You’ll have a hard time finding something that these sausage balls do not pair well with!
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon dried minced onions
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Set a wire cooling rack inside a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and, using your hands, mix until well incorporated.
- Form the meat mixture into 1 ½ – 2-inch meatballs, making a total of 24.
- Place the meatballs on the wire rack. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
The cookbook is another great keto cookbook by Kyndra Holley. (She’s the genius behind Peace, Love, and Low Carb.)
30 Minute Ketogenic Cooking contains 50+ low-carb recipes that will have you covered from breakfast to dessert. The compact size of the book makes it a great go-to for finding recipes that only take a short amount of time to make.
Cheesy Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole (8 servings, each only 4g net carbs)
In addition to recipes, 30 min covers time-saving kitchen tips and tricks that span from organization and efficiency to meal prep and planning. Kyndra also highlights time-saving kitchen tools and appliances and gives tips on how to repurpose leftovers.
Strawberry Spinach Salad (4 servings, each serving 3.8g net carbs)
To make things even easier for those who live busy lives, Kyndra has created two weeks of meal plans and included shopping lists that go with them.
Just like this recipe for sausage balls, Kyndra’s 30 Minute Ketogenic Cooking cookbook is a winner in my book.
Be sure to come back and tell us how your Keto Sausage Balls turned out!