Keto Sausage Balls with Almond Flour & Parmesan Cheese – Deliciously seasoned Italian sausage, combined with sharp cheddar cheese, salty parmesan cheese, onions, and almond flour make a perfect quick breakfast or delicious appetizer. At only 3.5g net carbs for four, this keto recipe can be enjoyed worry-free!
These keto sausage balls make great appetizers, dinner protein, or savory, filling breakfast treats. With only 3.5 grams of net carbs, they are easy to fit into your daily macros on a ketogenic diet. This sausage ball (without Bisquick!) recipe is one that you will make over and over again.
These easy, seven-ingredient keto sausage balls are so delicious that they can be mistaken for classic Bisquick sausage balls. They’re much healthier than the classic recipe and are just as easy to make. My favorite part (and what makes them stand out from regular sausage balls) is the addition of parmesan to the mix – YUM!
You can easily make these sausage balls from scratch, thanks to this recipe from 30 Minute Ketogenic Cooking: 50+ Mouthwatering Low-Carb Recipes to Save You Time and Money.
💖 Why You’ll Like These Sausage Balls
- They’re a keto-friendly twist on traditional sausage balls.
- These sausage balls are easy to make and the whole family will love them!
- These low carb sausage balls are very versatile – these can be an appetizer, a breakfast food, or even a quick snack. An extra bonus? They are grab-and-go friendly!
- They’re the perfect appetizer for game day or your next party.
- You’ll like their great taste and never miss the Bisquick version!
- They’re made with common ingredients – you probably have most of the ingredients on hand (and if you don’t, they’re all easy to find!)
- They will last for several days in the fridge, so you can enjoy these sausage balls more than once!
For this cheesy, meaty keto appetizer, you need the following ingredients:
- Italian sausage
- blanched almond flour
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- grated Parmesan cheese
- dried minced onions
- baking powder
- Wire cooling rack
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Large mixing bowl
👩🏻🍳 How To Make Keto Sausage Balls With Almond Flour and Parmesan Cheese
Step 1: To make these keto sausage balls, you begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Set a wire cooling rack inside a rimmed baking sheet.
Step 2: Place all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and, using your hands, mix until well incorporated.
Step 3: Form the sausage mixture into 1 ½ – 2-inch meatballs, making a total of 24. (You can use a cookie scoop to help make uniform size balls.)
Step 4: Place the meatballs on the wire rack. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
🔄 Substitutions & Variations
- If almond flour is not your favorite, you can substitute it for a different type of flour. Keep in mind, though, that almond flour is the best choice if you are on a keto diet.
- Egg substitute can be used instead of egg in these sausage balls if that is your preference/dietary need. Just be sure to check the container of the egg substitute that you use to make sure that the correct amount is substituted.
- If you are dairy free, a vegan cheese substitute can be used in this recipe.
- If you don’t like the taste of Italian sausage, use your favorite pork sausage.
- To add a bit of heat to your sausage balls, use Pepper Jack cheese.
These keto sausage balls will last in the fridge for up to four days if stored in an airtight container. To reheat refrigerated sausage balls, put them in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until warm.
🤷🏻♀️ Keto Sausage Balls FAQs
Yes, these sausage balls can be served at room temperature. If used as an appetizer, these can be left out for up to 2 hours. Just be sure to keep them refrigerated and covered until you are ready to serve.
This is a personal preference. Use whichever brand/flavor is your favorite.
Sure, you can use any type of flour for this sausage ball recipe. To keep it keto-friendly, though, I do recommend using almond flour.
Freeze cooked sausage balls in an airtight container for up to 2 months. (If you use a freezer bag, be sure to squeeze out excess air for best results.) When you are ready to serve them, bake them at 400° for about 10-15 minutes.
🍽️ What to Serve with Sausage Balls
- If you prefer to have your sausage balls as a breakfast dish, try pairing with eggs and cauliflower hashbrowns for a yummy, filling breakfast.
- If you’d like to add an “adult drink”, these sausage balls are delicious when paired with a chilled mimosa.
- These keto sausage balls make a great addition to any appetizer bar! Pair them with spinach dip, Alabama White Sauce, Ranch dressing, or your favorite dipping sauce. They also make a great breakfast dish when paired with eggs and cauliflower hashbrowns.
More Low Carb Recipes
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon dried minced onions
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Set a wire cooling rack inside a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and, using your hands, mix until well incorporated.
- Form the meat mixture into 1 ½ – 2-inch meatballs, making a total of 24.
- Place the meatballs on the wire rack. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
The cookbook is another great keto cookbook by Kyndra Holley. (She’s the genius behind Peace, Love, and Low Carb.)
30 Minute Ketogenic Cooking contains 50+ low-carb recipes that will have you covered from breakfast to dessert. The compact size of the book makes it a great go-to for finding recipes that only take a short amount of time to make.
In addition to recipes, 30 min covers time-saving kitchen tips and tricks that span from organization and efficiency to meal prep and planning. Kyndra also highlights time-saving kitchen tools and appliances and gives tips on how to repurpose leftovers.
To make things even easier for those who live busy lives, Kyndra has created two weeks of meal plans and included shopping lists that go with them.
Just like this recipe for sausage balls, Kyndra’s 30 Minute Ketogenic Cooking cookbook is a winner in my book.
In case you missed it, click here to read about Craveable Keto, another delicious keto cookbook by Kyndra. For even more delicious recipes from Kyndra, visit Peace, Love and Low Carb.
Be sure to come back and tell us how your Keto Sausage Balls turned out!
I make these for breakfast for my kiddos sometimes. These with a little fruit give them nourishment that tides them over well for the morning!
One thing I’d like to know – can these be refrigerated overnight BEFORE they are baked? Or can the batter/dough be refrigerated overnight and then made into balls in the morning? I’m worried it might dry out. So far, I just brown the sausage the night before, but I’d love to find a way to prep them right up to the point of baking, ahead of time.
Thanks for the comment, Mae. I am not sure if they can be made ahead or not. If you try it, I would recommend that you cover the sausage ball dough(?) tightly with plastic wrap.
Wow this looks delicious! Can’t wait to try it.
Thanks for the tip!
Have a great day.
Loved the recipe!!! I actually featured it on my blog (Fatboy Food Follies) as my pick of the week!! I’ll keep your page bookmarked!!