These Easy Zesty Cheesy Enchiladas are ready in about half an hour and is a dish that your whole family is going to love.
What are Enchiladas
Real enchiladas – those that you would find in Mexico – start with corn tortillas that are rolled around a filling and covered with a chili pepper sauce. The history seems to go as far back as the Mayan period when people rolled corn tortillas around small fish. Think of them as Mayan street food.
North of the Border, enchiladas have taken on a life of their own. Popular Tex-Mex versions use flour tortillas. They are filled with savory fillings and drenched in sauce – not something you would want to be eating on the go.
My version is a take on the Tex-Mex style using soft, pliable flour tortillas. To that, a filling made with cream cheese and chicken is topped with BLENDABELLA Zesty Mexican, a portabella mushroom blend that has a delicious profile perfect for the dish.
How To Make Easy Zesty Cheesy Enchiladas
To make Easy Zesty Cheesy Enchiladas, you’ll need the following:
- One package of flour tortillas. What size tortilla, you ask? The ones that say “soft taco” on the package.
- One 19-ounce can of red enchilada sauce.
- Two cups of shredded cheese. I recommend a Mexican blend.
- 8 ounces of cream cheese. If it is not softened, you can microwave it for about 30 seconds at reduced power to soften it.
- 2 cups of shredded cooked chicken.
- One jar of BLENDABELLA Zesty Mexican.
- Cilantro. (Unless you are one of those who thinks it tastes like soap.)
- A 9×13 baking dish.
To get started, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (or 177 degrees Celcius if you rather). Spray your baking dish with a little bit of non-stick spray. Spread ½ cup of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.
Next, combine the chicken and cream cheese well. Spread approximately ⅛ of the chicken mixture down the middle of a tortilla. Top it with about 3 tablespoons of BLENDABELLA and 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese.
Roll up each tortilla and place it seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat until you have 8 tasty enchiladas waiting to be baked. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over all 8 enchiladas. Try to make sure that they are all covered well.
Sprinkle the enchiladas with cheese and place your baking dish in your oven and bake for 20 minutes. Once it is finished, remove it from the heat and top with chopped cilantro.
Zesty Cheesy Enchiladas
- 8 flour tortillas
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups Colby Jack Mexican cheese blend
- 1 jar BLENDABELLA Zesty Mexican
- 1 19- ounce can red enchilada sauce
- Chopped cilantro to garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Combine cream cheese and chicken in a medium-sized bowl.
- Pour ½ cup of enchilada sauce on bottom of prepared pan.
- In each tortilla, layer chicken mixture and approximately 3 tablespoons of BLENDABELLA, and 2 tablespoons of cheese down the center of each tortilla.
- Roll up and place seam side down in casserole dish.
- Top with remaining enchilada sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired.
Wasn’t that easy? Serve it with a side salad, some rice, and beans. For dessert, try my Unfried Ice Cream recipe.
What is BLENDABELLA?
BLENDABELLA is a blend of portabella mushrooms created by Giorgio, a family-owned business. The company began in 1928 in Pennsylvania and continues on 3 generations later with their strong commitment to bringing high quality and innovative products to the marketplace.
Giorgio’s BLENDABELLA is made with fresh portabella mushrooms which are naturally low in calories, fat-free, low in sodium and cholesterol-free while being rich in nutrients including Vitamin B-3 and the antioxidant Selenium.
BLENDABELLA is available in three regional flavor options: Zesty Mexican, Coconut Thai, and Rustic Tuscan.