Easy beef stroganoff is one of the best homemade family meals that tend to be a traditional family favorite. Tender beef and perfect onion and mushroom flavors, make beef stroganoff a time-honored family meal passed down from generation to generation.
Typically when 5pm hits the clock, everyone in my family starts with the “What’s for dinner? ” questions and I look around in a daze like…do I have to make dinner for you all AGAIN. Keeping easy dinner recipes in my arsenal that everyone loves is a must and this beef stroganoff with pasta and mushrooms makes cooking a breeze.
Now I like to make my stroganoff with fresh sliced beef chuck roast, but you can easily substitute with 1 pound of ground beef if you prefer. Just precook up the ground beef, make the sauce separate and mix together for the same meal.
In any case, put this easy beef stroganoff recipe in your 30 minutes or less dinners that most kids will eat.
( I say most because some kids are picky even if you feed them pizza and fries, hang in there!)
Easy Beef Stroganoff
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (8 ounces) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1 8-ounce package noodles, cooked, drained, and kept warm
How To Make Beef Stroganoff
Add oil, beef and onion to a skillet. Heat on medium heat until beef is browned.
Season with salt and pepper.
Add flour and mix well. Add broth and continue to heat on medium, stirring frequently until boiling and bubbly.
Make sure the seasoned sauce is whisked so there are no chunks.
Simmer for 10 minutes.
Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
Reduce heat to low and add sour cream.
Stir until smooth and heated through.
Serve immediately on top of noodles.
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ cup onion diced
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup sour cream
- 8 ounces egg noodles cooked
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Add oil, beef and onion to a skillet. Heat on medium heat until beef is browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add flour and mix well. Add broth and continue to heat on medium, stirring frequently until boiling and bubbly.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Reduce heat to low and add sour cream.
- Stir until smooth and heated through.
- Serve immediately on top of noodles.
Beef Stroganoff Tips
- I love beef chuck roast as the meat, but any lean (non-fatty) meats are perfect. You want to pick meat that gets tender versus toughens.
- You can skip the pasta noodles and serve over other options like green beans, mashed potatoes, or even a baked potato
- Mixing up the kind of pasta you choose to serve, changes the texture.
- Try adding a packet of Ranch Dry Seasoning to the mixture for EXTRA flavor
Side Dishes for Beef Stroganoff
Growing up my mom always had a green side dish. Green beans and peas both make fantastic simple side dishes and are healthy veggies that complement the meal.
Family Friendly Main Dish Recipes
Need a few more family-friendly main dish meal choices? Try one of my personal favorites.