These oven-baked Chicken Taquitos are so delicious and are made without a deep fryer! This easy creamy chicken and cheese taquito recipe takes no time at all to prepare, is a great appetizer or filling meal, and is a great option for Mexican night.
Skip frozen taquitos!
You can easily make your own homemade Taquito with very few ingredients and without all the fried mess. There’s no need to stand at the stove to babysit them.
You can prep and walk away, no worrying about oil splatters or too much burn on one side, which makes making this a Mexican appetizer or full-on delicious dinner without much work.
Now in this recipe, you will note that I added Colby Jack, a family favorite cheese, but you can really mix up the flavors by adding a Pepper Jack or four-cheese blend.
Really that choice is between you and your taste buds!
How To Make Baked Chicken Taquitos
Call them rolled chicken tacos, call them appetizers, lunch, or even dinner, chicken taquito’s are a finger food just begging to be dipped in fresh salsa and sour cream!
Please note that these are NOT spicy. If you are looking for a bit of spice, you will need to vary the ingredients.
- 24 small flour tortillas
- 4 cups cooked (diced or shredded) chicken
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and cut into pieces
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dry ranch seasoning
- 1 cup Colby jack shredded cheese
Seasoning Tip: Total side note but you can buy a can of the dry ranch seasoning that will last you MONTHS vs the little single use packets.
The bigger bottle of Ranch seasoning is usually on the top shelf by the ranch packets. It’s about $6 in the store and we use ours for fresh ranch dressing and cooking all the time. Also, this little tablespoon scoop makes measuring a breeze and I use it in tons of recipes, so grab one!
What size Tortilla To Use?
Traditionally you use small ones – but it is okay for you to use larger ones. In my house I often only have larger tortillas, so I add more filling, roll tight and trim off excess tortilla from the side.
If they are really big and bulky they end up tasting more like a burrito, but either way are yummy.
- You can easily use other types of shredded cheese in place of Colby Jack (like 4 cheese Mexican)
- Add more bacon or chops of jalapeno
- Use half cream cheese ( 4 oz) and half sour cream for a creamier texture
This particular filling is so creamy and delicious! I use a mixture of cream cheese, bacon, green onions, shredded chicken and cheese, but you can alter this so easily.
Feel free to add other awesome things like salsa, corn, or beans (just be careful on your portions or they end up enchiladas!) or you can mix the shredded chicken up for pork or beef.
If you cannot fit all the great fillings, no matter- just top them instead!
Put a pile on your plate and add on some cheese sauce, sour cream, tomatoes, and avocados. Oh. Em. Gee!
Homemade Chicken Taquitos
WooHoo! Let’s get started.
Preheat oven to 400. Trust me on this – if you do not preheat it really changes the temperature times. I swear all my baking accidents happen when I cut corners or don’t read the directions. Don’t be like me.
Add cooked chicken, cream cheese, bacon, onions and ranch seasoning to a skillet and cook on medium, stirring frequently until cheese is melted.
Remove the chicken mixture from the heat and stir in shredded cheese.
Use a tablespoon portion scoop and place 4 scoops of filling into the center of a flour tortilla.
Roll up your chicken taquitos and place them on a baking sheet or inside a casserole dish.
Spray the top of the tortillas with nonstick cooking spray.
Bake for 15 minutes or until the center is warm.
Easy Chicken Taquitos
- Casserole dish, skillet
- 24 small flour tortillas
- 4 cups chicken cooked and shredded or diced
- 8 ounces cream cheese cubed
- 6 slices bacon cooked and cut into pieces
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon Ranch seasoning
- 1 cup Colby Jack cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Add chicken, cream cheese, bacon, onions, and ranch seasoning to a skillet and cook on medium heat, stirring frequently until cream cheese has melted.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in shredded cheese.
- Place ¼ cup of filling onto the center of a flour tortilla. Roll up the taquito and place on a baking sheet or in a casserole dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling. Spray tops of taquitos with non-stick spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until center is warm.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa, and/or guacamole.
Can’t get enough Mexican food? I hear you!
Make sure you check out these other Mexican Recipes at Southern Kissed:
- Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef – This Shredded Beef is perfect in classic tacos or lettuce wraps or paired with rice or roasted vegetables.
- Easy Chicken Fajitas – This healthy chicken dinner recipe made using a few store-bought ingredients and is cooked in a skillet in less than 20 minutes.
- Chicken and Black Bean Burrito Skillet – This recipe is perfect for those busy weeknights when you’re tempted to grab some takeout.
- Instant Pot Pork Carnitas – This seasoned, tender pork is delicious in lettuce wraps, tacos, salads, or served over rice.
- Easy Cheesy Enchiladas – These Easy Zesty Cheesy Enchiladas are ready in about half an hour and are a dish that your whole family is going to love.
- Grilled Chicken Tostadas – These delicious Grilled Chicken Tostadas With Roasted Poblano Guacamole are made with chicken thighs and are juicy and flavorful.
- Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream Pie – A delicious way to end a meal. A sweet graham cracker crust is topped with chocolate ice cream, spiked coffee ice cream, glazed pecans, and chocolate.