This Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef is perfect for any meal of the day! It can be served in tacos or lettuce wraps, paired with rice and vegetables, made into a soup or salad. Leftovers are always good too- just add to your lunchtime salads or soups anytime you need an easy go-to dish that packs all the protein and flavor from this delicious recipe.
Ingredients to Make Mexican Beef
For this tasty Mexican dish made in a Crock-Pot (or slow cooker), you need the following ingredients:
- beef chuck roast
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- ground cumin
- garlic powder
- smoked paprika
- chipotle powder
- dried Mexican oregano
- canned tomatoes with green chilies
- beef stock
- fresh lime juice
How To Make Mexican Beef
Start by preparing your Crock-Pot (slow cooker) by spraying the bottom and sides with non-stick cooking spray.
Generously season the beef with salt and pepper on all sides and place it in a slow cooker crock. Add all of the remaining ingredients, cover, and cook on low for 8 hours.
When it has finished cooking, remove the lid and shred the beef with two forks while it is still inside the slow cooker. Allow the shredded beef to marinate in the warm cooking juices for 5 minutes to absorb more flavor.
Transfer the shredded beef from the slow cooker to a serving platter with tongs, allowing the excess liquid to drain. Top with chopped cilantro and serve immediately with fresh lime wedges and additional cooking juices on the side, if desired. Enjoy!
Tip: For best results, allow the meat to cook on low for at least 8 hours. Yes, you can cook it on HIGH for 4 hours. However, good things come to those who wait.
Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef
- 2½ pounds beef chuck roast
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ medium yellow onion diced
- 1 medium jalapeno thinly sliced
- 1½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 10 ounces tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 large limes cut into 8 wedges each
- Spray the bottom and sides of 6-quart slow-cooker crock with non-stick cooking spray.
- Generously season the beef with salt and pepper on all sides and place in slow cooker crock. Add all remaining ingredients, cover, and cook on low for 8 hours.
- When done cooking, remove lid and shred beef with two forks while still inside the slow cooker. Allow shredded beef to marinate in warm cooking juices for 5 minutes to absorb more flavor.
- Transfer shredded beef from slow cooker to a serving platter with tongs, allowing excess liquid to drain. Top with chopped cilantro and serve immediately with fresh lime wedges and additional cooking juices on the side, if desired. Enjoy!
This is another great low-carb and keto-friendly recipe, very much like Instant Pot Pork Carnitas. Serve it with a side of beans, rice, and vegetables or in a tortilla as tacos for dinner. For lunch, make the Mexican Beef into a salad or soup .
This dish pairs well with cauliflower rice – for those who are low-carb, and also cilantro lime rice for those who aren’t on a diet.