Neena’s Instant Pot Chicken Curry Soup is inspired by the recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Curry Soup on PaintTheKitchenRed.com created by Neena (hence the name).
The rich coconut curry soup base is loaded with chicken and flavor and will make you forget about all other chicken soups. (Except for Neena’s original recipe, of course.)
I met Neena at a conference and after she told me about her blog, I had to check it out. (You should check it out, too! Click here to go to Paint The Kitchen Red.) Neena is a bit of an Instant Pot expert and her posts are quite comprehensive. If you have ever been wary of using an Instant Pot – don’t be. Just check out her blog and follow her detailed step-by-step directions.
There are a few changes that I made to Neena’s recipe, mainly because my family prefers white meat. This has become my husband’s favorite recipe this season and my children love it, too.
For the original recipe and no-fail directions, click here. You’ll love it, especially if you like dark meat. For my spin on the soup, read on.
Chicken Soup in an Instant Pot
Since I use shredded chicken breast meat, there are two options that I can take– either pressure cook chicken breasts and use the meat right away, or use frozen shredded chicken breast meat (there’s no need to thaw it in an Instant Pot). If I don’t have any frozen shredded chicken breast meat ready, then I cook a double batch and freeze half for later and use the other half in the recipe. (Click here for how to pressure cook chicken breasts in an Instant Pot.)
Neena’s Instant Pot Chicken Curry Soup
- 2-3 Tbsp ghee or butter
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 Tbsp garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp ginger minced
- 1 jalapeno sliced
- 3 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 pounds chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 can coconut milk
- Cooked rice optional
- On Sauté mode, melt ghee or butter and add onions. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, and jalapeno and cook for another minute.
- Add seasonings and stir.
- Add chicken broth, shredded chicken, and tomatoes and stir well. Place the lid on Instant Pot and cook on Manual for 5 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. Turn the valve and release any remaining pressure.
- Stir in the coconut milk and spinach. Place lid on Instant Pot and cook on Sauté setting for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and serve over rice, if desired.
We like to serve the soup over cooked rice, but you can omit that if you don’t like rice or if you are cutting back on carbs. Either way, it’s delicious!
Don’t forget to check out Neena’s recipes at Paint The Kitchen Red. You can thank me later.
One suggestion that my husband had was to add more spinach! Who’d a thunk it?