These soft Keto Pretzel Bites will satisfy your salty cravings while still staying on your low carb diet. They’re delicious served with cheese or pizza sauce.
The recipe for these low carb pretzel bites comes from Keto Bread: From Bagels and Buns to Crusts and Muffins, 100 Low-Carb, Keto-Friendly Breads for Every Meal by Faith Gorsky and Lara Clevenger, MSH, RDN, CPT. They know that one food category that most people miss on a keto diet is bread.
Wheat does not play nice with low carb dieting. That’s why many people fall off of the keto wagon.
This recipe is made with almond flour, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, and several other natural ingredients which combined produce a bread-like texture. It’s like magic.
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 Tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon psyllium husk powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cups shredded low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1-ounce cream cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Avocado oil, for your hands
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment
paper or a Silpat liner.
- In a small bowl, add the yeast and warm water and stir to combine. Set aside until foamy, about 5-10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, psyllium husk powder, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, add the mozzarella and cream cheese. Microwave for 60 seconds, then give it a stir, and continue microwaving in 20-second increments until the cheese is fully melted and combined when stirred.
- Stir the foamy yeast mixture into the melted cheese until combined, and then stir in the beaten egg until combined. Stir in the almond flour mixture until it forms a dough.
- Oil your hands and knead the dough until it comes together as a ball.
- Divide the dough into four equal pieces. Roll each into a log about 4” long and cut each log into four bites, so you end up with sixteen bites total.
- Arrange the bites on the prepared baking sheet and bake until golden, about 10 minutes.
- As soon as they’re out of the oven, brush the top of each Pretzel Bite with melted butter and sprinkle on a little kosher salt.
- Cool slightly before serving.
Excerpted from Keto Bread: From Bagels and Buns to Crusts and Muffins, 100 Low-Carb, Keto-Friendly Breads For Every Meal by Faith Gorsky and Lara Clevenger, MSH, RDN, CPT. Copyright © 2019 by Simon & Schuster, Inc. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 108Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 195mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g
Tips For Making Keto Bread Products
Making low-carb, keto-friendly baked goods might seem overwhelming. Here are a few simple tips that will help you when making keto bread:
- Thoroughly read the instructions before beginning.
- Mise en place. That’s a fancy French term that means to have everything in place before you start.
- Do not substitute coconut flour for almond flour. One cup of coconut flour has roughly 36 g of fiber while 1 cup of almond flour has 14 grams. 1 cup of almond flour is very different than 1 cup of coconut flour.
I know you might have been expecting some long exhausting list of tips, but baking keto goods is pretty much the same as regular baking. Sometimes it just takes a little practice.
The Keto Bread Cookbook
This post contains affiliate links. Clicking on the link and making a purchase helps support this blog. Thank you.
If you really want to learn more about how to make low carb bread, bagels, buns, muffins, and desserts, then Keto Bread: From Bagels and Buns to Crusts and Muffins, 100 Low-Carb, Keto-Friendly Breads for Every Meal is the book for you. The authors:
- include an introduction to the keto diet,
- explain what ketosis is,
- provide tips for your keto journey,
- cover keto baking basics,
- demystify keto baking staples,
- and share 100 recipes that cover bread basics, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and desserts.
Included in the book are recipes for Pizza Dough, English Muffins, Naan, Oven-Fried Chicken and Waffles, The Reuben, Philly Cheesesteak Hoagies, Chicken Parmesan, Cheddar Crackers, Spiced Beef Empanadas, Sweet Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti, and Tiramisu.
Look for Keto Bread at your local bookstore or at Amazon.com.