These sweet treats are inspired by the thought of Mexican hot chocolate. Sometimes it is just too hot to enjoy a cup of hot chocolate, but with these sweet treats, you can still savor the spicy-sweet flavors.
Sweet and Spicy Chocolate Chip Cookies
The addition of cinnamon and cayenne pepper kicks this basic, delicious chocolate chip cookie up a notch.
Did you know that cinnamon is obtained from the inner bark of several trees from the genus Cinnamomum. Seventy to ninety percent of these trees grow in Sri Lanka, but it is also grown in Brazil, the Caribbean, and India. Saigon, or Vietnamese, cinnamon is a much-prized variety because of its higher oil content.
So why is cinnamon associated with Mexican hot chocolate? Well, Mexico happens to be the largest importer of Sri Lankan cinnamon.
WebMD has posted ” Lab studies have found that cinnamon may reduce inflammation, have antioxidant effects, and fight bacteria. But it’s unclear what the implications are for people.”
According to the internet, where everything is true 🙂 , cayenne is relatively high in Vitamin A. At least by weight. It also has vitamins B6, vitamin E, Vitamin C, riboflavin, potassium, and manganese.
So…since these cookies have some cayenne pepper and cinnamon, they must be good for you, right? Be sure to have a glass of cold milk to go with them. There is a little heat to them.
I used three different types of chocolate chips.
Must I wait?
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In mixer, cream butter. Add granulated and brown sugar and mix well. Add vanilla extract and egg beating well.
- Add dry ingredients to mixer bowl and beat until well mixed. Add chocolate chips.
- Use medium sized cookie scoop and place dough balls approximately 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Let sit for one minute then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
Serving Size:1/8 batch
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 246Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 327mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information is an approximation.