To really spice things up a bit, make Peppered Cornbread. Made with some shredded habanero cheese, it’s sure to put a little kick into your step
My husband and I had some people over for dinner the other day and I made a large batch of chili in my Crock Pot. To go with it, I made some cornbread. Then it hit me that I had some Cabot Habanero Cheese and some hot jarred jalapenos and that it would be interesting to make a cornbread using those two ingredients. So, I got to work and made a skillet of Peppered Cornbread and it was amazing!
The cheese is a blend of spicy habaneros and aged cheddar cheese. Once baked into the cornbread, you taste a little bit of the cheese and get a kick from the habanero (plus the hot jalapenos). This recipe is a winner at our home.
To make it, I start by hand shredding the cheese.
I then melt my butter in my cast iron skillet while the oven is preheating. (I just have to be careful not to forget about it so that it doesn’t burn.) I then make the batter and pour it into my hot cast iron skillet.
Peppered Cornbread Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter melted and divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal white
- 1/2 cup hot jalapenos drained and chopped
- 1/2 stick Habanero Cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan (or cast iron skillet) with 1 tablespoon melted butter; set aside.
- Combine remaining melted butter, sour cream and next 3 ingredients; add cornmeal, stirring until moistened. Add jalapenos and cheese and mix well. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden.
Have you ever tried Habanero Cheese?
More Spicy Recipes:
- Thai Spicy Basil Chicken – This dish is full of veggie goodness, tender chicken, and just the right amount of spice.
- Sweet and Spicy Chocolate Chip Cookies – Chocolate and spice pair well in this sweet cookie recipe.
- Station 4 Johnsonville Cajun Chili – This chili recipe was developed by firemen in Birmingham. It’s a delicious creamy chili that you will want to make again and again.