This luscious chocolate mousse is creamy and velvety and made with only four ingredients. Make it to celebrate a joyous occasion or just because.
How To Make Chocolate Mousse
To make chocolate mousse, you need four ingredients: heavy cream, chocolate chips (or baking chocolate), sugar, and eggs.
Start by heating heavy cream and chocolate chips in a saucepan over medium-low heat. You’ll want to stir it constantly so that the milk does not scald.
Once the chocolate chips have melted, turn the burner off and set the pan to the side.
Next, it is time to beat eggs and sugar. Do this on medium speed for about 3 minutes.
Now slowly add some melted chocolate to the egg mixture. If you add it too fast, the heat from the chocolate will cook the eggs and that won’t be good. Keep adding and mixing until it is all mixed together.
Next up, pour the egg-sugar-chocolate mixture back into the original saucepan and heat over medium heat until it starts to thicken.
Chill the chocolate mixture for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
Once the 2 hours is up, whip heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
Gently fold the whipped cream and chilled chocolate mixture together.
To create a swirl, use a pastry bag fitted with a piping tip and pipe the mousse into your favorite dessert cups/dishes.
- 2½ cups heavy cream, divided
- 8 oz. high-quality semi-sweet chocolate chips or baking chocolate
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Heat 1 cup of heavy cream with chocolate chips over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until chips have melted. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and sugar with a hand-held mixer at medium speed for 3-minutes.
- While mixing on the same setting as above, slowly add the melted chocolate mixture to the egg mixture. Once combined, pour back into the pan used to melt the chocolate. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly before transferring to the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours.
- Once chilled, whip the remaining heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the chilled chocolate into the whipped cream until thoroughly combined. The mixture should have a fluffy consistency.
- To serve, spoon chocolate mousse into a piping bag and pipe into small dessert dishes. Enjoy!
Top with whipped cream, maraschino cherries or shaved chocolate, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 605Total Fat: 51gSaturated Fat: 32gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 174mgSodium: 56mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 3gSugar: 32gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information is an approximation.