These rich walnut brownies are loaded with chocolate chips and walnuts, making them irresistible! They’re topped with homemade chocolate icing that takes them over the top. If you love fudgy brownies, you’re going to love these! You can bake a batch and enjoy some now and freeze some for later.
Making brownies from scratch is pretty easy. As with any recipe, read through the directions thoroughly first and then assemble all of your ingredients.
For the brownies, you need:
- unsalted butter
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- chocolate chips
- chopped walnuts
- powdered sugar
How To Make Brownies From Scratch
Preheat your oven and prepare your baking pan. Next, start making the brownie batter by creaming the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. If you have a stand or hand mixer, by all means use it! It will make quick work of this task.
Add to that sugary mixture eggs and vanilla and mix until it is all combined.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Slowly add these dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Be careful not to over mix.
Now fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts to the batter.
Spread the batter in the prepared pan in an even layer. Bake for 22 – 26 minutes. Make sure that the center is not jiggly.
Once the brownies have cooled, it’s time to make the icing.
The homemade frosting is made with butter, cocoa powder, powder sugar, and a little milk. Use your mixer to combine the ingredients to a smooth consistency. Add milk a little at a time as necessary.
Spread the frosting over the cooled brownies. Sprinkle chopped walnuts on top, if desired.
Try these other Brownie Recipes
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & consider a review if you REALLY liked it. Thanks so much!
Chocolate Walnut Brownies
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ground cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1-1½ cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tablespoons whole milk
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, and salt to a large bowl and stir to combine. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet until just combined. (Do not over mix or the brownies will turn out “cakey”).
- Stir the chocolate chips and walnuts into the batter and transfer to the prepared baking pan. Spread into an even layer and transfer to the pre-heated oven.
- Bake for 22-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Brownies will still be soft and will finish setting while they cool.
- To prepare the frosting, mix the butter with the cocoa powder and 1 cup powdered sugar. Add in one tablespoon of milk at a time until desired consistency is reached. If necessary, add the remaining ½ cup powdered sugar to thicken.
- Once cool, spread frosting on top of the brownies before slicing and serving. Enjoy!