Apple Pie a la mode is an American classic recipe that has been enjoyed by people around the world for generations. It’s not only delicious and comforting but also easy to make. This version has a homemade crust and a warm, sweet filling that’s wonderfully spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg. To complete the recipe, top each slice of pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra special treat. Serve it to your family or friends and enjoy the classic flavors of this timeless recipe!
Believe it or not, you can make a fresh apple pie at home. The key is to take the time to read the recipe and to have all of your items ready before you start.
Pie Crust Ingredients
- All-purpose flour
- Vegetable shortening
Apple Pie Filling Ingredients
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- Unsalted butter
🔪How To Make Apple Pie
The first step is to make the pie crust. I like to add a touch of sugar to my crust when making desserts, but feel free to omit the sugar, if you’d like. Be sure that the water you use is COLD. It’s key in helping the crust to become flaky.
For the filling, place sliced apples, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a large bowl and toss gently to combine.
Once you are ready to assemble the pie, divide the pie crust into two. Roll out a circle large enough to fit your pie pan. Carefully place the bottom pie crust in the pan.
Roll out the remaining pie crust into a circle large enough to cover the top. You can get fancy here and cut a small-ish heart out of the middle to help steam escape. Lay the crust on top and crimp the two crusts together.
I recommend that you place the prepared pie on top of a rimmed sheet pan – just in case the juices should happen to boil over while it is baking.
Bake the pie as directed. Once it is finished, it should have a nice golden color. Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to create the à la Mode portion.
Apple Pie a la Mode
Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups vegetable shortening
- 7-12 Tablespoons ice-cold water
Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 6 cups peeled and sliced apples
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter cut into 4 or 5 pieces
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 450°F.
- To prepare pie crust, add flour, sugar, salt, and vegetable shortening to a large bowl and mix with a hand mixer. Gradually add ice-cold water until the dough binds together and can form a ball. Place in the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add sliced apples, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a large bowl and toss gently to combine.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide it into 2 even sections. Roll out each piece of dough into a 10-11 inch diameter for a 9-inch pie.
- Line a 9-inch pie pan with one of the crusts. Transfer the apple filling to the pie crust.
- Place top crust over the pie and crimp the edges together. Cut 4-5 vents into the top crust with a sharp knife and place a small piece of butter in each. Cover edges with foil or a pie crust protector to prevent over-browning.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450°F. Reduce temperature to 350°F and continue baking for another 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving with some No Churn Vanilla Ice Cream, if desired. Enjoy!
Be sure to come back and tell us how your apple pie turned out!
Talk To Us