These Nutella S’Mores Cookies are delicious, cute little cookies that are perfect for sharing with those you love. You can shape them into hearts or make them like a thumbprint cookie – the choice is yours.
They are not difficult to make but do take a little patience.
I start by making graham cracker crumbs in my food processor. I set them aside and then make the cookie dough. I then take 1 tablespoon of dough and form it into a ball. I like to make all of my balls at once. Then I dip them, one at a time, in an egg white that I have whisked until frothy. After the egg white, I then roll each ball into graham cracker crumbs and then set them on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
I then take a dough ball and insert a finger – or thumb – into the middle to make a well. Then I carefully try to press an indentation at the top to make the top part of the heart. Then I pull a little bit of the dough at the bottom to make it look like a point.
If you don’t want to make them heart-shaped, that is okay. Just make a well in the center.
At this point they are ready to go into the oven. Once they have baked, I remove them and allow them to cool completely. (If the centers of the hearts have puffed up, gently push them back down before they start cooling.)
Then I take Nutella and spoon a small amount into the center. It probably takes only about 1/2 a teaspoon.
I then place 3 miniature marshmallows on top and place the cookies in the oven and set it for BROIL. Please do not leave the cookies unattended. Once the tops start to brown, remove them from the oven and all them to cool.
Once they have cooled you can drizzle a little chocolate on top. I didn’t have luck with my chocolate topping, so I am sharing my mom’s recipe for chocolate frosting/glaze with you. It is the recipe she uses on her cookies.
Now if you didn’t make the cookies heart-shaped, you can buy a bag of Jet-Puffed heart-shaped strawberry marshmallows and top the round thumb-prints with them. They are still quite adorable.
Toast or not to toast – that is for you to decide.
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
- Miniature marshmallows
- 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine butter and powdered sugar. Beat until creamy. Add egg yolk and vanilla. Add flour and salt and mix well.
- Shape dough in 1-inch balls.
- Place egg white in a small bowl and beat until frothy. Place graham cracker crumbs in another bowl. Dip in egg white and roll in graham cracker crumbs. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Make thumbprint in each ball.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool completely.
- Place approximately ½ teaspoon of Nutella into the well of each cookie.
- Top with 3 marshmallows and place under the broiler in the oven. Remove cookies from oven after marshmallows start to brown a little. Allow to cool.
- Stir ingredients for Frosting/Glaze and mix until smooth..
- Drizzle over cooled cookies.
Serving Size:2 cookies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 183mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is an approximation.