This recipe for Chicken Fajita Bowls is low in carbs, gluten-free, and super easy to make using your Instant Pot. So skip the takeout line and pull out your Instant Pot and get cooking!
The chicken in this dish is marinated in a homemade fajita mix and cooked with healthy bell peppers and onions. The chicken needs at least 30 minutes to marinate but can be prepared the day before, making weeknight cooking even easier.
Top it with some sour cream, chopped tomatoes, and avocado and serve it with some cauliflower rice for a keto-friendly low-carb dish, or with regular rice for those not on a diet. It’s a delicious meal that you will make time and again.
Chicken Fajita Bowl
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 small green bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 small sweet onion peeled and sliced
- ½ cup water
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted, and diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Add chicken, bell pepper slices, and onion. Toss and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Add water and chicken mixture, including any additional seasoning in the bowl, to the Instant Pot®. Lock lid.
- Press the Manual or Pressure Cook button and adjust cook time to 5 minutes. When timer beeps, let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Quick-release any additional pressure until float valve drops and then unlock lid. Check chicken using a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature is at least 165°F.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken and veggie mixture to four bowls.
- Garnish with avocado, tomatoes, sour cream, and Cheddar cheese. Serve warm.
The “I Love My Instant Pot®” Gluten-Free Recipe Book
The recipe for Chicken Fajita Bowls comes from Michelle Fagone’s The “I Love My Instant Pot®” Gluten-Free Recipe Book: From Zucchini Nut Bread to Fish Taco Lettuce Wraps, 175 Easy and Delicious Gluten-Free Recipes (“I Love My” Series) by Michelle Fagone of CavegirlCuisine.com. Every recipe is gluten-free, making them perfect for serving to friends and family who follow a gluten-free diet due to celiac disease, gluten intolerance, wheat allergies, or simply for health reasons, as well as those who don’t.
This is the first cookbook dedicated to non-paleo, gluten-free recipes for the hottest kitchen appliance: the Instant Pot®—with 175 easy-to-make recipes and photographs throughout.
With this cookbook home chefs will learn how to make satisfying, whole-food dishes for every meal, including an easy-to-understand overview of the Instant Pot® on what all those buttons on the Instant Pot do, how to release the pressure from the Instant Pot®, and how to keep your Instant Pot clean.
The author, Michelle Fagone, is a recipe developer and food blogger. On her site, CavegirlCuisine.com, she shares recipes and knowledge about the health benefits of cooking with local, fresh, non-contaminated foods.
Cavegirl Cuisine was named one of the Top 50 Paleo Blogs of 2012 by the Institute for the Psychology of Eating. She is the author of The “I Love My Instant Pot” Recipe Book, and The “I Love My Instant Pot” Paleo Recipe Book.
Look for The “I Love My Instant Pot®” Gluten-Free Recipe Book at your local bookstore or order it from Amazon.com (see below).