This delicious White Pizza With Spinach and Mushrooms might remind you of the famous Applebee’s pizza. The pizza is no longer on the menu, but you can easily make this clone in your own kitchen.
Whether or not this white pizza is a true clone of Applebee’s Spinach Pizza Appetizer, I’ll never know. The item was removed from Applebee’s menu years ago and all that remains is a dairy-free version circulating online and in cookbooks.
My family and I have been on a “spinach” kick lately, so when my husband told me about this pizza we knew we would have to try it. The clone recipe is made using pita bread, a cream sauce, and topped with spinach, mushrooms, and diced tomatoes.
After looking at the recipe, though, I knew I would want to make some changes. It appears that the circulating clone was written by someone who was either a vegan or who had dairy issues. For the creamy white sauce, it used rice milk and nutritional yeast.
While that might come out alright, to make a truly creamy white sauce, I knew it would be best to use real dairy. To make the sauce super creamy, I used butter, cream cheese, and half-and-half. For flavor, I added garlic, basil, and Parmesan cheese.
- 4 naan
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ½ cups fresh diced tomatoes
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium sized saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and cream cheese. Add garlic and simmer for 1 minute. Add half-and-half, Parmesan cheese, basil, and cayenne pepper and stir well. Simmer for 5 minutes on low and then remove from heat.
- Spoon a thin layer of cream sauce on top of each naan. Top each pizza with ½ cup of spinach, ½ cup of mushrooms, and diced tomatoes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake for 10 – 12 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1/2 pizza
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 577mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 15g