This Chicken Casserole with Spinach and Pasta is the perfect dish to make when you want something easy, delicious, and comforting. The spinach adds color and texture while the chicken provides protein and healthy fats.
This Chicken Casserole with Spinach and Pasta takes ordinary ingredients and turns them into a delicious dinner that is easy to make. Serve it up with some garlic bread or salad for a complete meal that will satisfy your whole family!
How To Make a Chicken Casserole With Spinach and Pasta
To make this chicken casserole that is similar to Chicken Florentine, you need the following ingredients:
- frozen spinach
- rigatoni pasta
- olive oil
- 1 onion
- cubed cooked chicken
- Italian-style diced tomatoes
- chive-and-onion cream cheese
- shredded mozzarella cheese
You start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place thawed spinach in a strainer and set aside to drain well. Prepare pasta according to directions.
While the pasta cooks, place oil in the bottom of a 7×11 inch baking dish (with cover). Add the onion in a single layer and bake, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or just until tender. Transfer onions to a large bowl and set the baking dish aside.
Press spinach between 2 paper towels to remove any remaining liquid. Stir pasta, spinach, chicken, tomatoes, cream cheese, salt, and pepper into onion in a bowl. Spoon into the baking dish and top with cheese.
Bake, covered, for 30 minutes; uncover and bake 15 more minutes or until bubbly.
Chicken and Spinach Pasta (Casserole)
- 1 10- ounce package frozen spinach thawed
- 8 ounces rigatoni pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 14.5 ounce can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 8- ounce container chive-and-onion cream cheese softened
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place spinach in a strainer and set aside to drain well. Prepare pasta according to directions.
- While pasta cooks, place oil in bottom of a 7×11 inch baking dish (with cover). Add onion in a single layer and bake, uncovered, about 15 minutes or just until tender. Transfer onions to a large bowl and set baking dish aside.
- Press spinach between 2 paper towels to remove any remaining liquid. Stir pasta, spinach, chicken, tomatoes, cream cheese, salt and pepper into onion in bowl. Spoon into baking dish and top with cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes; uncover and bake 15 more minutes or until bubbly.
Serve this yummy entree with a side salad and some crusty French bread and you have an elegant meal that would be just as great for serving to company as it is for serving to your family. This is a delicious meal from the Alabama Hometown Cookbook that you will want to add to your weekly meal plan.
Alabama Hometown Cookbook
The Alabama Hometown Cookbook is part of the State Hometown Cookbook Series by Great American Publishers. The book is a collection of recipes from people across the State of Alabama, including personal recipes from the authors’ own families.
The recipes are an insight to the culinary heritage of people who lovingly call Alabama home. The recipes cover everything from appetizers to dessert. Included in the book is information about festivals around Alabama organized by months.
Some of the recipes that got my attention are:
- USS Alabama Shrimp Deviled Eggs
- Irondale Cafe Cornbread
- Full Moon Bar-B-Que’s Marinated Slaw
- Peach Barbecue Sauce
- Chelsea McLean’s Island Curry Chicken
- Cajun Barbecued Shrimp
- Old Southern Pound Cake
- Alabama Bourbon Pecan Balls
Look for Alabama Hometown Cookbook at your local retailer or at Amazon.com.