This lusciously creamy Texas Coast Shrimp Scampi is a delicious twist on the classic shrimp scampi recipe with rich flavors of cumin, chili powder, and a pop of heat from red pepper flakes.
- 💡 The Inspiration Behind This Delicious Shrimp Scampi Recipe
- 💖 Why You’ll Love This Garlic Shrimp Scampi
- 🥄 Equipment Needed
- 📝 Ingredients For Your Easy, Shrimp Scampi
- 👩🏻🍳 Cooking Instructions
- 🍽️ What to Serve/Pair with Your Creamy Shrimp Scampi
- 🔄 Popular Substitutions & Additions
- 🤷🏻♀️ FAQs
- 🍤 Other Shrimp Recipes You’ll Love
- 📖 Recipe
- 📒 The Little Gulf Coast Seafood Cookbook
If you are looking for a sophisticated meal to wow friends and family look no further than this dreamy low-carb shrimp scampi! Your guest will think you’ve spent hours in the kitchen preparing a luxurious scampi that will have them raving over your culinary skills for days to come.
Scampi is an Italian-American dish that generally consists of large shrimp, lobster or scallops sauteed perfectly in a creamy garlic and butter sauce with a variety of herbs and spices then tossed with linguine or fettuccine pasta. Shrimp scampi is a delectable meal whether it be for a quick weeknight supper or a more elegant dinner party.
💡 The Inspiration Behind This Delicious Shrimp Scampi Recipe
Texas gulf shrimp is known as being the tastiest and most popular shrimp in the United States, so there is no question as to why Kent Whitaker and his wife Ally spent years traveling on the back roads of the gulf coast in search of the best seafood dishes.
Kent is an award-winning author known for his array of cookbooks, history books, as well as a few children’s books. Kent put his knowledge and love of seafood together to create the Little Gulf Coast Seafood Cookbook that this Texas Coast Shrimp Scampi recipe comes from so we too can enjoy his recipes in the comfort of our own homes.
💖 Why You’ll Love This Garlic Shrimp Scampi
- Ready in under 30 mins. Our time is precious and we don’t want to spend the whole night in the kitchen.
- Always a crowd pleaser! Your friends will be asking for seconds.
- Simple ingredients- most of which you probably already have at home
- Versatile. Can be served as an appetizer or a main course
- One-pot dinners make cleaning up a breeze!
🥄 Equipment Needed
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Serving dish
- Serving spoon
📝 Ingredients For Your Easy, Shrimp Scampi
- Minced garlic
- Olive oil
- Coarse sea salt
- Red pepper flakes
- Medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Chili powder
- Cumin powder
- White wine
- Ground black pepper
- Lemon juice
- Chili powder for garnish
👩🏻🍳 Cooking Instructions
Step 1. In a skillet, sauté garlic in butter and olive oil. Season with salt and red pepper flakes to your liking.
Step 2. Add shrimp, chili powder, cumin, and wine. Stir the shrimp as they cook, coating them evenly with butter and wine sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes until the wine cooks off and the shrimp are opaque.
Step 3. Add black pepper, parsley, and lemon juice; stir evenly to coat the shrimp. Remove the pan from the heat.
Step 4. Sprinkle the dish with a small amount of chili powder just before serving.
🍽️ What to Serve/Pair with Your Creamy Shrimp Scampi
- Sides – The most popular side to serve with shrimp scampi would be some crispy buttered Texas toast but if you are trying to stay more low carb a leafy green side salad with cherry tomatoes and cucumber with roasted asparagus or cauliflower will also make delicious options as well.
- Dessert – A small sweet dessert is always the perfect ending to a great meal. After eating seafood a light dessert that isn’t too sweet is sure to hit the spot! If you are looking for a yummy dessert to serve with your creamy shrimp scampi try these mouthwatering crustless cheesecake bites here.
🔄 Popular Substitutions & Additions
- Instead of using a starchy pasta, zucchini noodles would be a great delicious lower-carb option
- Use chicken broth or water in place of white wine if you have any alcohol restrictions.
- Adding steak to shrimp scampi gives this dish a real surf and turf feel while still being elegant and yummy
If stored in an airtight container, leftovers will last 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Shrimp scampi does freeze well. Store in an airtight container and it will last up to 3 months.
When reheating shrimp scampi from the refrigerator, simply place in covered microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds at a time so shrimp don’t become too tough. If reheating from the freezer, use the stovetop on low heat to slowly dethaw.
Yes! Thawed frozen shrimp works just as well as fresh. Remember to be careful not to overcook to avoid a rubbery texture.
Your shrimp is ready when it is no longer transparent in the center. Do not overcook it. You’ll end up with a plate of rubber!
🍤 Other Shrimp Recipes You’ll Love
Texas Coast Shrimp Scampi Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse sea salt
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound medium shrimp shelled and deveined
- ½ Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ cup white wine
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Chili powder for garnish
- In a skillet, sauté garlic in butter and olive oil; season with salt to taste and red pepper.
- Add shrimp, chili powder, cumin, and wine. Stir shrimp as they cook, coating evenly with butter and wine sauce. Cook about 5 minutes until wine cooks off and shrimp are opaque.
- Add pepper, parsley, and lemon juice; stir evenly to coat shrimp. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with a small amount of chili powder just before serving.
- Delicious served with butter and toasted Texas toast.
📒 The Little Gulf Coast Seafood Cookbook
While the Little Gulf Coast Seafood Cookbook is small in size, there are lots of seafood recipes, as well as some sweet treats that pair well with seafood, throughout the book.
Some of the tempting recipes are:
- Southern Fried Alligator
- Coastal Crab Gumbo
- Easy Gulf Coast Shrimp Sliders
- Biloxi Beer-Battered Hot Fish Fillets
- Creole Baked Redfish with Tangy Chili Mayo
- Crab Coleslaw Salad
- Orange Kissed Cocktail Sauce
- Toasted Coconut Pineapple Smoothie
- Key Lime Cake
The book also has cooking tips and information about sites around the Gulf Coast. It’s a sweet little cookbook and would make a great gift the beach-lover in your life. Look for it at your local bookstore or at Amazon.com.
Don’t Forget To Come Back And Tell Us How Your Texas Gulf Style Shrimp Scampi Turned Out!