With flavors of cumin and chili powder and a little bit of heat from red pepper flakes, Texas Coast Shrimp Scampi is a delicious twist on the classic shrimp scampi. It would be great served with some buttered Texas toast, or for a low-carb version, serve as-is.
This recipe for Texas Coast Shrimp Scampi comes from the Little Gulf Coast Seafood Cookbook by Kent Whitaker. Kent and his wife both grew up as “beach kids.” They love looking for the best seafood restaurants when they are at the beach and over the years, Kent has collected, tested, and developed seafood dishes that they enjoy making at home. Thanks to his little cookbook, we can enjoy them at home, too.
Kent’s recipe for Texas Coast Shrimp Scampi is easy to make and is ready in a snap.
Texas Coast Shrimp Scampi
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse sea salt
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound medium shrimp shelled and deveined
- ½ Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ cup white wine
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Chili powder for garnish
- In a skillet, sauté garlic in butter and olive oil; season with salt to taste and red pepper.
- Add shrimp, chili powder, cumin, and wine. Stir shrimp as they cook, coating evenly with butter and wine sauce. Cook about 5 minutes until wine cooks off and shrimp are opaque.
- Add pepper, parsley, and lemon juice; stir evenly to coat shrimp. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with a small amount of chili powder just before serving.
- Delicious served with butter and toasted Texas toast.
Recipe from Little Gulf Coast Seafood Cookbook, copyright 2017, and reprinted with permission.
About the Little Gulf Coast Seafood Cookbook
While the Little Gulf Coast Seafood Cookbook is small in size, there lots of seafood recipes, as well as some sweet treats that pair well with seafood, throughout the book.
Some of the tempting recipes are:
- Southern Fried Alligator
- Coastal Crab Gumbo
- Easy Gulf Coast Shrimp Sliders
- Biloxi Beer-Battered Hot Fish Fillets
- Creole Baked Redfish with Tangy Chili Mayo
- Crab Coleslaw Salad
- Orange Kissed Cocktail Sauce
- Toasted Coconut Pineapple Smoothie
- Key Lime Cake
The book also has cooking tips and information about sites around the Gulf Coast. It’s a sweet little cookbook and would make a great gift the beach-lover in your life. Look for it at your local bookstore or at Amazon.com.