This easy BBQ Chicken pizza Recipe just might change the way you make pizza. This BBQ Chicken pizza is not only easy to make, thanks to a packet of instant mashed potatoes, but also delicious! The recipe is perfect for a weekend dinner or a fun night in with friends.
You and your guests might even be surprised that this delicious Loaded BBQ Chicken Baked Potato PIZZA recipe was made using a packet of Idaho Spuds. Yes, that’s right – the homemade pizza crust is made with mashed potatoes!
It really is quite easy to make. Let’s take a quick look at how to make it.
For this easy pizza recipe, you need the following ingredients:
- Fast-acting instant yeast
- Idaho Spuds Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- All-purpose flour
- Barbecue Sauce
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
- Pre-cooked chicken (leftover rotisserie chicken works well)
- Cooked bacon or bacon bits
To make the crust, you start by pouring 1 ½ cups warm water into a measuring cup. Add yeast and honey, stir, and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Whisk together Idaho Spuds and flour in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the water mixture and mix at low speed of the mixer using the dough attachment for 1 minute until the dough becomes a well-formed ball and all flour has been incorporated.
Increase the speed of the mixer to medium and knead for 2 minutes.
Turn the oven on and allow it to heat up to 130 – 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Turn OFF the oven.
Place the pizza dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Roll the dough around to lightly coat the entire surface. Cover it with plastic wrap and place it inside the pre-warmed oven to rise for 30 minutes.
Remove the bowl from the oven and preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Divide the pizza dough in half and roll it out on pizza pans or baking sheets that have been sprinkled with flour. Prick the surface with a fork to allow steam to escape.
Partially bake it (for about 7 minutes). This is called “blind baking”
Remove the pizza crust from the oven and top it with your favorite bbq sauce and toppings. I recommend that you spoon a layer of barbecue sauce on top of the pizza, followed by a layer of mozzarella cheese, and then sprinkle chicken, bacon, and red onion on top.
Bake for about another 7 minutes. Remove the hot pizza from the oven and top with fresh herbs like cilantro or chives.
Notice that I didn’t put how much bbq sauce or how much cheese to use. That’s because some people like a lot of sauce and some like a lot of cheese. I recommend that you start with a small amount of sauce (about ½ cup for a large pizza) and spread it around. If it doesn’t look like enough, you can add more.
I typically use 2 cups of cheese (an 8-ounce package) for a really large pizza or for 2 medium-sized pizzas. For Loaded BBQ Chicken Baked Potato PIZZA, I like to mix things up and use a combination of cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese. Be flexible and make it your own.
Loaded BBQ Chicken Baked Potato PIZZA
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 packet fast acting instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3.74 ounces Idaho Spuds Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 2 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup cooked chicken shredded or chopped
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- 4 slices bacon cooked and cut into 1-inch pieces (alternatively, bacon bits)
- Chives chopped
- Fresh cilantro
- Pour 1 ½ cups warm water into a measuring cup. Add yeast and honey, stir, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together Idaho Spuds and flour in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add water mixture and mix on low speed of mixer using dough attachment for 1 minute until dough becomes a well-formed ball and all flour has been incorporated.
- Increase speed of mixer to medium and knead for 2 minutes.
- Turn oven on and allow it to heat up to 130 – 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Turn OFF oven.
- Place pizza dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Roll dough around to lightly coat entire surface. Cover with plastic wrap and place inside pre-warmed oven to rise for 30 minutes.
- Remove bowl from oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Divide pizza dough in half and roll-out on pizza pan or baking sheet that has been sprinkled with flour. Prick surface with fork to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 7 minutes and remove from oven.
- Top with BBQ sauce, cheese, chicken, scallion, and bacon. Bake for an additional 7-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with chopped chives.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Like pizza? Don’t miss these other recipes at Southern Kissed: