Tomato Curry Sauce
Have you mastered using your Instant Pot yet? Me, neither. But that’s okay, because I have a couple of cookbooks by Michelle Fagone, creator of Cavegirl Cuisine, that I refer to whenever I need some IP help. Her newest book, The “I Love My Instant Pot” Paleo Recipe Book: From Deviled Eggs and Reuben Meatballs to Café Mocha Muffins, 175 Easy and Delicious Paleo Recipes (“I Love My” Series), is perfect for those of you who are looking for paleo-friendly Instant Pot recipes.
Being that I am on the quest to eat more veggies this year, I started off by making Honey-Glazed Carrots. They came out sweet and tender. They were so good that even my husband loved them. Next up, I made Michelle’s Tomato Curry Sauce.
The Tomato Curry Sauce is made with a mixture of spices that give it a bit of an exotic taste with a little bit of heat. In addition to Michelle’s suggestions to serve it over cauliflower “rice,” seafood, or chicken, I think it would be great to eat at breakfast topped with fried eggs. (Think of an Indian version of shakshuka.) Fortunately, you can try Tomato Curry Sauce from The “I Love My Instant Pot” Paleo Recipe Book and decide for yourself how you would like to serve it.
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, including juice
- 1/2 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, quartered
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- Combine all ingredients in the Instant Pot™. Lock lid. Press the Manual or Pressure Cook button and adjust time to 10 minutes. When timer beeps, let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes. Quick-release any remaining pressure until float valve drops and then unlock lid.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the sauce in the pot until smooth.
- Pour sauce into a lidded container or jar and refrigerate until ready to use. Use within 5 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 83 Total Fat: 3g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 470mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 8g Protein: 2g
The “I Love My Instant Pot” Paleo Recipe Book is another keeper by Michelle Fagone. It has 175 Paleo recipes that are made in an Instant Pot. In the beginning is a chapter that explains the various buttons, locking and pressure-release methods, accessories, and how to clean your Instant Pot. Recipes are categorized into the following sections:
- Soups, Stews, and Chilis
- Appetizers and Sauces
- Side Dishes
- Poultry Main Dishes
- Beef and Bison Main Dishes
- Pork, Lamb, and Game Main Dishes
- Seafood and Fish Main Dishes
- Sweet Treats and Drinks
Popular dishes such as Sausage Gravy, White Chicken Chili, and Southern Squash Casserole have been Paleo-ized, making it easy to stay on your Paleo and/or gluten-free diet without comprising on taste.10