You can make this delicious, wholesome multigrain bread at home. It’s made with six simple ingredients (not including water) and it makes a terrific base for sandwiches.
You don’t need a bread machine to make bread at home. You don’t even need a mixer, but I do recommend that you use one. In the recipe below, I used my KitchenAid Artisan Mini Mixer and used its dough hook to knead the dough.
Other items I use to make multigrain bread are:
- unbleached flour (I prefer to use organic wheat)
- instant yeast
- light olive oil
- brown sugar
- 5-grain cereal blend
Bread Making Tips
When making it, there are a few things to note:
1. Water needs to be warm, not hot. The temperature should be at least 110 °F and no more than 130°F. It all depends on when you add your yeast. For this recipe, instant yeast is used and added with the dry ingredients. Ideally, the water temperature should be between 120°F – 130°F.
2. Since instant yeast is used, there is only one dough rise. I let my loaf rise for 1.5 hours in my oven. My trick: I turn my oven on and let it warm up to around 130°F. I place the shaped dough in the loaf pan in the oven and then turn the oven OFF. This creates a nice warm environment that is conducive for the bread to rise.
3. Once the bread has baked, cool it in the loaf pan for about 10 minutes. After that, remove it from the loaf pan and let it finish cooling on a wire rack. This prevents the bread from getting soggy from trapped heat/moisture in the loaf pan.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 packet RapidRise Instant Yeast
- ¾ cup 5-grain cereal
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Combine water and oil and set aside.
- Combine bread flour, salt, and instant yeast and place in mixing bowl.
- Add cereal blend and brown sugar and water/oil mixture.
- Turn blender on and mix until blended. Knead the dough for 3-5 minutes.
- Form dough into log shape and place in a loaf pan that has been lightly coated with non-stick cooking spray.
- Allow dough to rise for 1.5 hours in a warm place.
- Bake bread in an oven that has been preheated to 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow bread to cool for 5-10 minutes in the loaf pan. Remove bread from loaf pan and allow it to completely cool on a wire rack.
“I’ve heard it said that when you die you enter a room of bright light, and that you can smell bread baking just around the corner.” ~ Rick Bass