There are days when you know you should NOT make a whole batch (2+ dozen) of cupcakes. The reasons may vary and you might be the only one who knows why, bless your heart. And then a little special someone wants a sweet treat. What’s a gal – or guy – to do? The answer is simple – make a small batch of lemon cupcakes.
When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.
These sweet little treats aren’t made with lemonade, but they are light and delicious. The batter easily makes six cupcakes with enough leftover for you to lick the spatula. If you have lemons, you could add some fresh grated lemon zest to make them even better.
I love to top cakes and cupcakes with a simple buttercream icing. (You can get my recipe by clicking here.) My topping is not snow white because I prefer to use organic powdered sugar and real vanilla (which is BROWN). If you are really ambitious, you can make these babies with ALL organic ingredients.
- 1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp lemon extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whip butter at medium-high speed in mixer bowl. Add sugar and mix until creamy. Add egg, milk, and lemon extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients at slow speed until the batter is moist.
- Turn speed onto medium-high and beat until smooth.
- Spoon into prepared muffin pan and bake for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before decorating.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 166 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 52mg Sodium: 157mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 8g Protein: 3g