These Lunch Room Style Scotcheroos will delight the inner child in you. Made with crisp rice cereal and peanut butter and topped with sweet chocolate – what’s not to love?!
How To Make Scotcheroos
Scotcheroos have two delicious layers – the bottom peanutty crispy rice layer and a sweet chocolate topping.
Before mixing the bottom layer, be sure to have your pan ready. Simply line an 8×8 baking dish or pan with parchment paper. This will make clean up a breeze and also allow you to lift the batch out of the pan easily.
Put granulated sugar and corn syrup in a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Keep an eye on the sugar mixture because you definitely don’t want it to burn. Stir the sugars together continually until it starts to come to a boil.
Next, add the peanut butter to the sugar mixture, stir it well, and remove from the heat.
Pour six cups of Rice Krispies in a large bowl. Pour the peanut butter mixture over the cereal and stir until all of the crispy puffy rice is coated. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan.
For the chocolate topping, place the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a glass bowl (or another microwave-safe bowl) and heat on HIGH for 1 minute. Stir well and make sure that all of the chips have melted. If not, place back in the microwave and heat for another 30 seconds.
Spread the chocolate mixture on top and allow to cool.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup, light or dark
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Line an 8” x 8” pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat granulated sugar and corn syrup in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring continually, until mixture comes to a rolling boil.
- Stir in peanut butter and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Add Rice Krispies to a large bowl. Pour peanut butter mixture over the cereal and mix to combine.
- Spread the Rice Krispies mixture evenly in the prepared baking pan. Set aside.
- In the microwave, melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips in a large glass bowl (or two separate bowls, if preferred). Heat for 1 minute and then stir. Then, heat in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until the chips are completely melted.
- Spread the chocolate mixture on top of the Rice Krispie layer and allow to cool.
To prevent lumps when melting the butterscotch chips, melt them in a separate bowl.
For a thicker chocolate-butterscotch topping, double the amount chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 627Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 276mgCarbohydrates: 99gFiber: 3gSugar: 78gProtein: 9g
Tips For Making Scotcheroos
- If you don’t want to use corn syrup, substitute agave nectar or honey on a 1 for 1 basis.
- To make the syrup ^ release easily from your measuring cup, spray the cup with non-stick spray.
- Store scotcheroos in an air-tight container after they have cooled if they won’t be eaten soon to help keep them fresh.
- Scotcheroos can be frozen. It’s best to cut them into individual servings and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Then place them all in a freezer bag and store for up to 2 months. Let them thaw completely before serving.