Indulge your taste buds in the creamy delight of our irresistible Cream Cheese Frosting recipe. This velvety-smooth creation is the perfect finishing touch to elevate your cakes, cupcakes, and baked treats to a whole new level of decadence.
Whether you’re a baking enthusiast or just looking to add a touch of lusciousness to your desserts, this easy-to-follow recipe is your gateway to achieving bakery-quality results right in your own kitchen. Get ready to spread, swirl, and savor the rich, tangy goodness that will have everyone asking for seconds.
Cream Cheese Frosting is almost always a great choice for topping cakes, cupcakes, and even cinnamon rolls. Homemade cream cheese frosting is easy to make using simple ingredients and so much better than store-bought frosting.
For this super easy sweet frosting, you need the following ingredients:
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- ½ stick butter
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract or milk for a lighter frosting
- 32 ounces powdered sugar (confectioners’ sugar)
👩🏻🍳How To Make Homemade Frosting
You start by creaming butter and cream cheese. Using a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese together until they’re smooth and well combined. This usually takes about 2-3 minutes at medium speed.
The mixture should appear creamy and free of lumps. This crucial first step sets the foundation for a velvety and luxurious cream cheese frosting that will beautifully complement your favorite baked treats.
Tip: Use softened butter and softened cream cheese. I like to take butter and cream cheese out of the refrigerator and let it sit on my kitchen counter for about 30 minutes or even up to 1 hour to soften.
Once you do have them creamed together, it’s time to add powdered sugar. You will want to start off at a slow speed so that the powdered sugar doesn’t create a dusty cloud. Gradually increase the speed to medium and continue to beat until the mixture becomes fluffy and well incorporated. This process usually takes about 2-3 minutes. The addition of powdered sugar adds sweetness and structure to the frosting, creating that irresistible texture we all love.
At this stage, it’s helpful to also add the vanilla flavoring. If the frosting is too “wet,” incorporate a little more powdered sugar. If it’s too dry, introduce 1 tablespoon of milk. Remember to periodically scrape the sides of the bowl to ensure all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated and the consistency is uniform.
Be sure to whip the frosting for 4-5 minutes – a step that’s truly worth the time investment. You’ll notice the texture evolving from its initial state to a fluffier, almost cloud-like consistency.
The extended whipping time allows the ingredients to meld and incorporates air into the mixture. This, in turn, contributes to the frosting’s airy texture, making it velvety smooth.
Keeping it Fresh: Storing Cream Cheese Frosting
To ensure the continued deliciousness of your cream cheese frosting, proper storage is key. Follow these simple steps for storing leftover frosting:
- Refrigeration: Due to the dairy content in cream cheese frosting, it’s best to store it in the refrigerator. Place any unused frosting in an airtight container to prevent it from absorbing any odors and to maintain its creamy texture.
- Seal It Well: When sealing the container, make sure to press plastic wrap or parchment paper directly onto the surface of the frosting before sealing with the lid. This minimizes air exposure and prevents a dry layer from forming on top.
- Best Practices: Consume the stored cream cheese frosting within 3 to 5 days to enjoy its optimal taste and quality. If the frosting appears slightly firm after refrigeration, allow it to come to room temperature and give it a gentle stir before using.
🧁 Delicious Ways To Use Cream Cheese Frosting
Indulge your sweet tooth and take your baked goods to the next level by incorporating the rich and velvety goodness of cream cheese frosting. Whether you’re whipping up a classic dessert or experimenting with new creations, this versatile frosting adds a delightful tangy-sweet dimension that’s hard to resist. Here are some fantastic options to get your creative culinary journey started:
- Carrot Cake
- Red Velvet Cake
- Pumpkin Cake
- Cinnamon Rolls
- Banana Bread
- Apple Spice Cake
- Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Chip Cookies (as a filling or topping)
- Lemon Bars
These are just a few examples of the many delicious treats that can be enhanced with the delectable addition of cream cheese frosting.
🔄 Frosting Variations
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting – Combine 2 cups of chopped strawberries and 3 tablespoons of water in a saucepan. Cook over low heat for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool. Follow the directions above, adding and mixing in the cooled strawberry mixture after step 1 has been completed. Follow the remaining directions. This recipe is ideal for a sheet cake and not cupcakes.
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting – Use only 8 ounces of cream cheese and add 1 cup of creamy peanut butter in step 1. Follow the remaining directions.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting – Double the amount of butter to 2 sticks in step 1. Add 1 cup of natural cocoa powder to step 2.
Coconut Cream Cheese – Add ½ cup of coconut milk in step 2. For even more coconut flavor, add 1 teaspoon of coconut flavoring.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract or milk for a lighter frosting
- 32 ounces powdered sugar
- Using a whisk or paddle attachment of an electric mixer, cream together cream cheese and butter
- Slowly add powdered sugar and vanilla. Add 1-2 tablespoons of milk if mixture is too thick.
- Whip the frosting at HIGH speed for 4-5 minutes or until it is light and fluffy.
Be sure to come back and tell us how your frosting turned out!