This Dominican Avocado Salad has no sugar – it’s low carb – and it comes together in no time. If you’d like to boost the protein content, serve it with some sliced chicken or baked fish on the top or on the side.
The recipe comes from Tiny House Cooking: 175+ Recipes Designed to Create Big Flavor in a Small Space, where each recipe has been designed to serve two.
The original recipe calls for using two bunches of watercress. I was not able to find watercress at my local store so I substituted a pack of pre-cut salad mix in its place. The lettuce is tossed with a simple dressing and topped with tomato, red onion, and avocado.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 medium lime
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches watercress, large stems removed
- 1 small ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small ripe Hass avocado
This Dominican Avocado Salad recipe is a nice side dish as is, or topped with protein it becomes a nice stand-alone meal.