Yellow sheet cakes are among the most versatile cakes out there – you can decorate them for any occasion or simply ice them for a simply because dessert. This recipe for yellow sheet cake is waiting for your special touch.
This recipe is made with all-natural ingredients – all of which you are likely to already have in your fridge and pantry. Let’s take a quick look at how it is made.
How To Make Yellow Sheet Cake
To bake a cake, start by preheating your oven and preparing the cake pan. A pretty fool-proof way to prepare a cake pan is to rub shortening on the cooking surface and sprinkle it with flour. Alternatively, you can use a baking spray with flour like Bakers Joy or take your chances with just cooking spray.
Next, gather all of your ingredients so that you have mise en place and know that you have everything needed.
1. Cream butter and sugar together. If you have a stand mixer, then you are in good shape. If you have a handheld mixer, that will work, too. If you must, you can use a whisk and good old fashioned manual labor.
2. Next, add eggs and vanilla and cream well.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed sugar mixture. You need to do this slowly, a little at a time. You could alternate adding about half of the dry ingredients with half of the milk. (Rinse and repeat.)
You want to make sure the batter is well blended, but be careful to not over blend. Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking pan and bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Yellow Sheet Cake with Chocolate Frosting
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup whole milk
- Chocolate Buttercream
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease or spray a 9” x 13” pan with bakers cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until well blended.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just blended.
- Slowly mix in milk.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and spread it out evenly with a spatula. Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before topping with chocolate buttercream frosting. Slice and serve immediately, if desired. Enjoy!
Allow the cake to cool completely and then decorate as desired. Chocolate buttercream is always a good choice if I do say so myself.
More irresistible cake recipes you might enjoy:
- Classic White Layer Cake – The perfect “blank” slate of all cakes. You can add sprinkles, chocolate chips, and whatever else your heart desires to dress up this basic cake.
- Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake – This cake is perfect for luncheons and teas. Its light citrus flavor comes from real lemons and the cake is topped with a fresh lemon glaze.
- Chocolate Layer Cake – This decadent cake is topped with chocolate buttercream. It’s perfect for kids and chocolatoholics alike.
- Black and White Cake – This is a versatile paleo cake recipe. You can make it black and white or choose an all chocolate option. Either way, you can’t lose.