The ingredients in this recipe for Toasted Pecan Cookies are kitchen staples and it is likely that you already have all of the ingredients. They’re made with oatmeal and Rice Krispies, so they could even be considered a breakfast cookie.
This year I participated in the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap, a holiday cookie exchange with a good purpose, and made Toasted Pecan Cookies. The annual cookie exchange partners with Cookies For Kids’ Cancer, a national non-profit organization committed to funding new therapies used in the fight against pediatric cancer, which claims the lives of more children in the US than any other disease. The task of each blogger was to send three other bloggers a cookie that has not appeared on his or her blog in the past.
These cookies are made using Rice Krispies, toasted pecans, and oatmeal – they almost sound like they could be considered a breakfast cookie, right? But alas, they do have sugar which would make them better suited for dessert.
Like most cookies, they are made by creaming butter and sugar first. Then eggs and vanilla are beaten in just before adding flour, baking soda, and salt.
The crackly goodness gets added next – oatmeal, pecans, and Rice Krispies.
Medium-sized scoops work great when making these.
Toasted Pecan Crackles are baked at 400 degrees for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until they are a nice golden color.
I boxed three packages of a dozen cookies and shipped them across the country to The Gaited Baker, Fail Sweetly, and Persnickety Plates. I can’t wait to see what they sent their three recipients.
- 2 sticks of butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon. baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugars at high speed of mixer. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and baking soda. Add to cream mixture with mixer set to a low setting. Mix until flour mixture has been well incorporated.
- Add oatmeal, pecans, and Rice Krispies.
- Using medium-sized scoop, place cookie dough on baking sheet 2-inches apart from each other.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until done. Cook for 2 minutes on baking sheet and then allow to continue to cool completely on baking rack.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 237Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 155mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is an approximation.