Mornings can be hectic, so this make-ahead Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal means one less thing you need to do before you start your day. An added bonus – this healthy and delicious overnight breakfast recipe will have your house smelling like freshly baked apple pie when you wake up in the morning.
Before preparing it, be sure to either line or heavily grease the sides of your slow cooker. It will make clean up much easier and faster.
Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup fresh apple cider
- 2 medium apples cored and diced
- 1½ Tablespoons honey preferably local
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt to taste
- 1 medium apple cored and diced
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- Real maple syrup
- Add oats, water, cider, apples, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt to greased or lined slow cooker crock and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Actual cooking time will vary depending on your slow cooker, so check for doneness after 5 hours and adjust cooking time accordingly.
- To serve, allow to cool slightly before spooning into bowls and topping with fresh chopped apples, pecans, and some real maple syrup, if desired.
Do not substitute any other type of oats for this recipe. Cooking times are based on using steel cut oats only.
It very important to either line or heavily grease the sides of your slow cooker crock before preparing this recipe. If you skip this step, the oats will stick to the sides and will be very difficult to remove.
Steel Cut Oats vs. Rolled Oats (Old Fashioned Oats)
Steel cut oats are minimally processed oats, whereas rolled oats – which are also known as old-fashioned oats – are oat groats that have been steamed and rolled so that they cook faster. Steel cut oats can stand up to the longer cooking time in Crock Pots and slow cookers, while its old-fashioned cousin cannot.
This hearty Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal will warm your belly on those crisp fall and cold winter mornings. It’s a delicious way to start your day.