Keto and low-carb dieters rejoice! This Quick and Easy Personal Pizza from Suzanne Ryan’s book, Simply Keto, is going to change your dieting world. It’s easy to make, low-carb, and delicious!
Yes – pizza on a keto diet is possible and you don’t have to have fancy kitchen gadgets or advanced culinary skills to make it. I know, because I made the cute little pizza you see pictured above.
The recipe was created by Suzanne Ryan, the genius behind the successful blog, Keto Karma. On both her blog and in her book, Suzanne shares her personal story of why and how to follow a keto diet. Before we get to the recipe, let me tell you about Simply Keto and Suzanne.
Simply Keto: A Practical Approach to Health & Weight Loss, with 100+ Easy Low-Carb Recipes is a beautiful cookbook full of low carb inspiration. It begins with Suzanne’s story and encouragement for the reader. Just like most of us, she has had weight issues. She overcame them by following a ketogenic diet.
We could all use a little help along the way when it comes to dieting. That’s what makes Simply Keto great – the first chapter is All About Keto. Keto 101 explains in simple terms what nutritional ketosis is, why keto is a moderate-protein diet, what ketones are, the difference between diabetic ketoacidosis and nutritional ketosis, what macros are, what macros to aim for, what foods to avoid, and information about carbohydrates.
After the keto primer, Suzanne details how to start a ketogenic diet, including tracking weight and macros, testing for ketones (side note: some keto adherents don’t recommend testing), dealing with weight-loss stalls, combating the “keto flu,” working out, healthy vs. unhealthy fats, the role of sugar, and frequently asked questions.
With there being 100+ recipes, it’s easy to find something keto to eat. The recipes are divided into the following chapters:
- Appetizers and Snacks
- Beef and Pork
- Soups and Sides
- Desserts and Drinks
That’s not all. There is also a 30-day meal plan, a chapter on taking keto on the road, and helpful resources. Simply Keto is a valuable resource for anyone who wants to improve their health by living a keto lifestyle.
Now….on to the recipe for Quick and Easy Personal Pizza, courtesy of Simply Keto. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup blanched almond flour
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 ½ tablespoons no-sugar added pizza sauce
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5 slices pepperoni
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Place an oven rack in top position. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Make the crust: In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese, almond flour, garlic powder, and salt and stir until well blended. Microwave for 25 seconds.
- Knead the dough with your hands for a few seconds. Add the egg yolk while the dough is still warm. Knead until combined and roll into a ball. Form a disk as if you were making a hamburger patty. Place the dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet and use your hands to press into a circle 5 to 6 inches in diameter and about ¼ inch thick (or use a rolling pin). If the dough cools too much for form properly, place it back in the microwave for 10 seconds.
- Use a fork to poke holes in several places throughout the crust before baking. Bake on the top rack for 8 to 10 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove the crust from the oven and flip it over. Top the flatter side with the pizza sauce and sprinkle with half of the cheese. Next, add the pepperoni slices, then sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for another 3 to 4 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle the pizza with Italian seasoning before serving.
Recipe is excerpted from Simply Keto: A Practical Approach to Health & Weight Loss, with 100+ Easy Low-Carb Recipes by Suzanne Ryan, copyright 2017. Reprinted with permission.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 469 Saturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 257mg Sodium: 712mg Carbohydrates: 9g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 2g Protein: 25g
Look for Simply Keto at your local bookstore, Costco, or at Amazon.com.
What’s your favorite keto meal?